Need advice on paint/primer options - first timer.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:05 am
I have a 1994 Dodge Dakota pick-up with 160k miles that I am painting for my 15 year old son's first vehicle. I paid $1500 for the truck. The body is is in really good condition, but the paint is peeling. I have thoroughly sanded down the truck. I have never painted a vehicle before.
I want it to look decent, but doesn't have to be showroom quality. I am weighing the options below to determine which way to go. I would appreciate advice on which option is best for my situation.

1) First option is single stage acrylic urethane paint with 2k urethane high build primer for $190 (www.paintforcars.com). HVLP gun $70 (Harbor Freight). Total $260.
2) Second option is single stage acrylic enamel with sandable primer for $100. Same HVLP gun as above for $70. Total $170.
3) Third option Rustoleum for $50. As I understand, with this option I wouldn't need primer (correct?). I could use an existing canister style spray gun that I already own. Total $50.

Thanks.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:09 pm
If you have peeling paint it is best to take it down to bare metal then prime with a good two part epoxy first. If the body is good and straight you may not need a high build urethane primer. From there you have a lot of options for color but really depends on your budget and the color you want. Generally speaking if you use enamel and the truck stays out a lot then you can count on it fading relatively quick when compared to a good two part urethane product. If i stays covered a lot it may not matter so much. Most important thing is to protect yourself with a properly fitted respirator, gloves, and paint suit.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:58 am
Any additional advice appreciated.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:11 am
Your budget wouldn't allow the idea for you doing all the prep then finding a local small shop (or guy with a home-based shop) who would be willing to shoot the single-stage paint, would it?

Take options 2 and 3 off the list; not worth it.

Do you have a big enough compressor to run an HVLP gun? Don't believe the Harbor Freight air (CFM) requirements - they are so low they defy the laws of physics and I believe are published that way to drive sales, period.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:48 am
chris wrote:Your budget wouldn't allow the idea for you doing all the prep then finding a local small shop (or guy with a home-based shop) who would be willing to shoot the single-stage paint, would it?

Take options 2 and 3 off the list; not worth it.

Do you have a big enough compressor to run an HVLP gun? Don't believe the Harbor Freight air (CFM) requirements - they are so low they defy the laws of physics and I believe are published that way to drive sales, period.

I have a paint guy thats a friend and I asked him for his economy paint job price. He said he doesnt do economy and the price would be $1500! He said to call Maaco. They would be about $600.
My compressor is 50 gallon upright so I think it has enough capacity.
Why do you say options 2 and 3 aren't worth it?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:03 am
tmaxx wrote: . . . Why do you say options 2 and 3 aren't worth it?

Its called experience. Chris is trying to give you the sound, professional advice you were looking for when you made your post.

Cheap paint jobs aren't good and good paint jobs aren't cheap. This is why your friend declined to do the job.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:44 am
You can do an acceptable job using the siphon feed gun, it will just take a bit more paint.
Do option 1 and spend the money on good products. Take your time, be safe, and test your
spray technique on some lawn furniture first.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:49 am
Right. If you are just looking to experiment, then those options are ok. If you want it to come out halfway decent, then no. The Maaco deal isn't a horrible idea, if you do the prep and the guy painting didn't just become a painter that morning.

When I was a kid I did a few cars that way. The local Maaco guy was an excellent painter...but I knew that for a fact beforehand.

Return to Body and Paint