Estimating how much paint to paint 94 Harley Davidson FXDWG

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:45 pm
So I am working on getting some of my tins on my bike painted. Currently it is all gloss black, with a red pinstripe one front fender, tank and rear fender. From that strip down I am planning on going to a flat color instead of the gloss. I am trying to get a picture posted but not exactly sure how to do it. So basically what it comes down too, is how much paint would be required to paint half of the tins instead a full paint job. I know every paint job is different so I understand can't get an exact, but an idea is what I am looking for. More then likely it will be a base coat with a flat clear over it. I will continue to try to figure out how to post a picture of the bike as it sits now. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:19 pm
See my signature below, for picture posting instructions.

Generally it takes about 7 ounces of sprayable material to cover approximately a 15 sq/ft surface area. Most guys say 7 ounces per panel on a car which is pretty unscientific but it actually works out fairly well. Hard to say how that would translate to your motorcycle parts but at least maybe it gives you a reference. Keep in mind this is 7 oz per coat, so if you are doing 2 coats of base and 3 coats of clear...add it up that way...

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:33 am
Thanks for the advice Chris. I appreciate it greatly.

Return to Body and Paint