Masking wheel well trim question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:16 am
I've got a question about masking. The truck I am going to paint has trim around the wheel wells. It was originally black, but has faded and is whitish in spots. I've got two questions:
1) I plan to leave the trim on. Can I mask around the trim using tape to protect the trim from getting painted? I was thinking it would be best to remove the trim, however, this is a 1994 truck and I am not sure I could even get the trim removed due to the screws being rusted. If I leave the trim on and mask it off, is there a possibility that the paint will flake off where the new paint meets the trim?
2) Could I paint the trim black to return it to it's original color? I was thinking of just using a spray can for this. Would it be best to do this before painting the truck body? The trim seems to be a hard rubber material.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:50 pm
Yes, you can mask off the fender flares just like any of the other trim. Mask carefully and don't let the tape
'bridge' across the flare and body. If you prep well around the flares, there shouldn't be any problem. Of
course it's always better to remove all the trim you can.

I've had good results using Krylon Fusion on fender flares. It's formulated for rubber and plastics and dosen't
require an adhesion promoter. Use a scuff pad or 600 paper to prep the flares. Dosen't matter much in what order
you paint them, it'll still require masking twice...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Return to Body and Paint