How far should I sand before repainting?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:14 am
69cuda340s wrote:A DA will not make the straight. If fact it will probably do just the opposite. If you want it straight get a long DuraBlock and block it by hand. Once you start blocking you will see the panels are not straight, the sand paper will not be hitting consistently across the panel surfaces.

I would sand doors, fenders, hood, trunk on the car where they are stable and wont wobble around.

69Cuda, I was not clear. I do not plan to use the DA to block the car. I was asking if using a DA is ok to prep the car for primer (i.e. sand to factory primer faster than by hand). I will epoxy and then spray build primer and definitely block sand by hand to get things straight.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Manufacturer
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:01 pm
You can prep the car with a DA to get it ready for primer or epoxy. Then block it after you have primed it. Depending on what your sanding, some people use a scotch brite by hand to prep too. Anywhere from 180-320 is a great grit for prepping before primer or epoxy. The finer, the less chance of seeing your scratch marks come thru if your primer shrinks.

:-)
Tammy
Tamco
https://www.facebook.com/TamcoPaint

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:53 pm
Methodical wrote:69Cuda, I was not clear. I do not plan to use the DA to block the car. I was asking if using a DA is ok to prep the car for primer (i.e. sand to factory primer faster than by hand). I will epoxy and then spray build primer and definitely block sand by hand to get things straight.

I would block the car down by hand since you have healthy original paint. That way you are getting a jump start on getting the car straight.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:03 pm
Ok, sounds good. The fun as started. I have begun the sanding part using the longest durablock block sander. I just got my ********** products today (black epoxy and gray 2k) and wax and grease remover.

Thanks everyone for the help.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"
Previous

Return to Body and Paint