Shocking cost for paint job

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:25 pm
Wow, did I get knocked for a loop today. :shocked: Have had my '98 1500 base model Ram since new in 98. It's a solid running truck still and I've done the typical needed repairs along the way. Always did the fluid changes and I keep a log for all the vehicles we have. With only 115K miles on it I'm sure it still will go a long way yet. Since we use it for a dedicated tow vehicle only with our pop up camper it doesn't see daily use.

Sadly, the years have taken a toll on the body and paint. Not beat to chit mind you but it had some issues.

Soooooooooo, having worked a short while in a body shop as a kid, reading and reading here and other places on line, I decided to prep the body for paint. Harbor Freight stud welder, my da sander and some supplies from the vendor that most pros locally buy from. Got the dents out, shot the epoxy, a bit of skinned plastic and then a few coats of 2k high build and a wet sand with 400 why...it all looks dahmn good actually. I only want to repaint OEM white, nothing fancy but I do want quality paint base and clear coat.

Today I started searching for shops to squirt the paint on. Stopped in at what clearly is one of the better shops it appears. You know the one, front office/reception area is really classy. The vehicles out front with their amazing, trick paint jobs. Anyway, guy tells me..."you're about in a range of 4,500.00". I almost crapped my pants! "Oh yeah, we have to pull the bed off bla bla bla if you want a life time warranty". But, but, but...I don't need a lifetime warranty. It's not a show truck! I mean, my next expense on it coming up surely is the automatic trans (big bucks likely) and I can't dump that kind of bank on a paint job. The idea of doing the body prep myself was to save a buck for God's sake.

Went to another shop, he rather had the same story but at least he did say he could shoot it like I want but he would not provide a warranty. I then called a few other other places, told them what I had and everyone seemed to be floating around 1,500.00 bucks or so.

Can anyone here give me some insight as to what I should ask for based on my needs. I want quality paint, I want a strong clear coat. I don't want every last part stripped off the truck. Shoot, I got most of the parts off myself. The emblems are off, the door moldings off, tail gate handle, etc. etc. Shouldn't one be able to get a lasting paint job without taking out a second mortgage gezzzzzzzz Thanks for any ideas, advice gents... :)

P.S. How concerned should I be related to time here? I mean, I've got a lot of 2K sprayed everywhere, do I need to get this right in and painted or do I have time (couple weeks) to shop?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:38 am
You need to check the tech sheet for the primer...you will be outside the recoat window and it will need sanding and maybe another sealing application before paint. If the tech sheet doesn't tell you, call the company tech support line.

$1500 to base and clear on that truck sounds very reasonable to me.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:42 am
Ahhhh right, tech sheet. Duh, I'll do that.

Curious...do they shoot multiple base coats today. I mean, is it once and done or how does this work?

Thanks very much for the response! This is a great forum for help and information! :worthy:

P.S. Chris, what part of New York? That was where I was born oh so long ago.
Last edited by HiFiDave on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:45 am
$1500 - 2000 for a quality paint job with the amount of prep work you have done is right in line. The higher end shops like you describe will always have inflated prices. They tend to cater to insurance work or high end jobs to help pay for the fancy booth and receptionist. ;)

Typically, 2 - 3 coats of base and 2 - 3 coats of clear. Some of the new waterborne materials are 1 coat, maybe 2, but it takes special equipment and a good painter to apply it correctly.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:21 pm
Dave I'm in the metropolis of Wappingers Falls, having moved the great distance from Poughkeepsie.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:15 pm
Sorry to say but it sounds about right. It also depends on how detailed you want the job to be and if you want a good job or not?

Check out this video https://plus.google.com/101433174763953196821/ and you'll see we have two paint booths constantly operating. Another thing is obviously if it's a luxury or late model car. There are too many factors that go into determining price.

FWAB

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:38 pm
Since you've done the hardest parts of it already, I wonder if you couldn't go ahead and shoot the paint yourself? It sounds like you are very handy/skilled so it might be a satisfying experience.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:12 pm
does that 1500 include the price of the paint and are they doing the door jambs. will they wet sand and buff it for you
in the immortal words of Frank Sinatra "That's Life"

Return to Body and Paint