painting over powder coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:33 am
hi all, I painted a 2003 Toyota landcruiser a while ago for a friend who is manager of a 4wd accessories shop, he was pretty pleased how it came out, so much that he has offered for me to paint bullbars that come into his shop that the customer wants color coded to match their vehicle.
however they are powder coated (brand new), from what I have read in a couple of books, powdercoat is a great substrate to paint over, but ive never actually done it.
my thoughts are, scuff it up with some 400 dry rub (for solid colors) or 800 wet (for bc/cc), a coat of over reduced epoxy and then paint, but im not sure how hard the coated surface will be to scuff up, im not real keen on having to use something coarser like 180, then have to epoxy and 2k prime, then rub it all back again to paint, these will require a reasonably fast turn around so time Is of the essence
any help is greatfully received
krem

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:30 am
I've painted over powder coat a few times. When I used a ss I just sanded with 320 sealer then paint. The times I used bc/cc I sanded 400 sealer then paint and clear. Hope this helps.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:01 am
does it sand easily??
im going into chat to this guy over the next few days and he will want a rough price, I don't wanna be busting my butt sanding something for hrs on end and only making a few $ a hr!!
krem

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:07 pm
It depends on the powdercoat. I have some aftermarket struts that scratch and chip incredibly easily. They have a thin black powdercoat on them from the factory. I have had a few sets of wheels that have a more plastic powdercoat that was incredibly hard to sand off completely, so I scuffed it up with 220 - 320 and primed over it with epoxy.

Return to Body and Paint