Paint Matching

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:38 pm
Hi all i have a problem that i can use some help with. i have been trying to match my paint 1880/hgf Alpine green. i have bought paint online and even sent part of the car for matching. they assured me that it matches. they have actually been very accommodating. but when i use the premixed can of waterborne base coat i get a darker or greener look if you will at finish.
now by all accounts other than me there are somany reasons this could be most being painters adjustment (like always) or the color is not factory. i have checked the color with parts of the car thats highly unlikely to have been repainted ie the trunk. if anyone has any ideas on how i can get a match from the darker results i have to the lighter results i want i would greatly appreciate it
http://techmaticsystems.com/paintmatch.jpg

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:40 pm
From the photo, it looks like you just painted the front fender and did not blend into the door?

If you didn't blend into the adjacent panel (door), you will be able to see a huge difference in appearance from one panel to the next. Do a search for "blending" on the forums and on YouTube for examples of how to blend.

You also need to adjust the pressure of you gun for minor adjustments in tone/hue. Color (hue/tone) can be adjusted slightly by changing the pressure you are spraying your paint at. Turning the pressure up can lighten the color, turning it down can make it darker...... These are very slight tone adjustments, not major changes in tone/color.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:33 pm
Nah, that's just a crap match. Darker, dirtier and more yellow/green. Door is cleaner and bluer and that's just from a photo.

I wouldn't think that's even close enough to blend.
Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:30 pm
vwbobby wrote:From the photo, it looks like you just painted the front fender and did not blend into the door?

If you didn't blend into the adjacent panel (door), you will be able to see a huge difference in appearance from one panel to the next. Do a search for "blending" on the forums and on YouTube for examples of how to blend.

You also need to adjust the pressure of you gun for minor adjustments in tone/hue. Color (hue/tone) can be adjusted slightly by changing the pressure you are spraying your paint at. Turning the pressure up can lighten the color, turning it down can make it darker...... These are very slight tone adjustments, not major changes in tone/color.

so does it go lighter or darker the more air pressure you add
in the immortal words of Frank Sinatra "That's Life"

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:05 am
chris i totally agree i have tried many things i was goint to do a complete repaint but i stopped because i could not get to a match the choice yellower and greener is right on point. so now im stuck trying to figure how to get this color matched. Any mix experts out there

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:45 am
You have to compare your paint with the variants for that paint code.
Most paint codes have several variants and sometimes they vary a lot.
I usually take the gas cap door with me to the paint store and compare
it to the chip samples taking them outside in the sun light.
Usually lots of differences for any given paint code.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:21 pm
i should add some info on my paint matching problem pics below
paintpolished.jpg
paintpolished2.jpg

i sprayed the base color from a can of ready spray from touchupdirect also i should say as far as paint goes i like their product and they stand by it and the environment i sprayed in should be considered hostel The clear i sprayed from a gravity gun which i don't prefer (im old school)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:56 am
jamon8 wrote:so does it go lighter or darker the more air pressure you add

More pressure will make it slightly lighter.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:05 am
thanks V-Dub and all

Return to Body and Paint