Advice for putting some lipstick on a pig

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:00 pm
I've got a Scout II that I'm looking to repaint. This is not a full restoration by any means, I just want the thing to look decent and get some practice for the next one that will be a full restoration. This is just going to be a drive around and hunting rig. Cheap is the key here.

So here's the situation. I've put about 2 quarts of body putty on the thing, there is some rust, most of the paint is still on it, some bare metal is showing, parts have been primed already...it's pretty rough. I've read through some of the posts here and have gotten some good advice already and some good tips, but I still have a couple of questions before I pull the trigger and start buying paint.

I really don't want to take this thing down to bare metal. My tentative plan is to rough up the existing paint and prime it with this:
http://www.amazon.com/Valspar-21852G-Wh ... mer+gallon .

This is the paint that I want to use:
http://www.paintforcars.com/aep_gunmetal.html

So my question is will this work? Are there any obvious issues I'm missing with the primer or overall plan.

Also should I need a full gallon for this? I'm only painting the outside. I'm going to use bed liner on the interior.

Thanks.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:27 pm
I would not use that primer. The SS enamel is probably ok if you set your expectations very low -- but I do not think it will be compatible with that primer. What did the people who sell the SS paint tell you about the primer, did they say it would work?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:07 pm
I would strongly recommend you consider urethane single stage,
it can be had with activator for less than $100.00 a gallon.
It's a little more but 10 times better than enamel.
You can also get a good primer for under $100.00,
and again, much much better.
Here's one place, there's plenty more

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/kirker/ ... hanes.html
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:46 pm
chris wrote:What did the people who sell the SS paint tell you about the primer, did they say it would work?

I haven't actually talked to any sales people about this yet. I'm still very much in the planning stage which is why I stopped here first. Glad I did.

That being said, the more I've thought about it the more I've convinced myself to just bite the bullet and spend the time and money stripping it down to the metal and doing it the right way. After all, part of the reason I'm putting the effort into this Scout is to practice for the one I'm going to fully restore eventually.

@JCCLARK, thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that sight before. Probably what I get for Googling "cheap auto paint." I'm thinking that Gray Metallic is going to look pretty good on the scout with a black hard top.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:18 pm
The only reason I use them is because they are close and convenient
to where I work. I have used a lot of their products and am quite
happy with them. The urethane is incredibly durable and I've used it on
my car, boat and trailer. It is a little tougher to spray compared to
base coat, but it's a lot cheaper. Seems to last.
I haven't had the same experience with the enamels.
I won't use them anymore.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Return to Body and Paint