How to retain the "patina" on 46 Chev

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:52 pm
I am getting ready to paint a 1946 Chevy ½ ton that I am restoring for a friend. The truck has clearly been rode hard and put away wet. Over the course of its life, it has had about 15 coats of paint, various colors, some applied by brush. As a result of differential wear, it has developed a rather interesting look – reminds me of ‘Mater from the movie Cars. The owner would like to retain this look. I have seen this done on one of the TV car restoration shows – essentially clear coat the car as is. Can any one give me some detailed advice on how to go about this? The metal is pretty solid with some surface rust. The rust should not present a problem if all the moisture is removed – I have access to an oven that will accept the entire cab.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:31 pm
From what I understand the guys on the Gas Monkey show on TV, they skuff the entire vehicle with a skuffing paste and scotchbrite pad, clean with wax and grease and use a satin clear. I have never done it myself, so I cant tell you how long its gonna last. Maybe get on facebook and message KC (the painter for Gas Monkey Garage) and see if he can offer any advice.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:51 pm
Thank you! I could not remember that name of the show - all I could remember was something about"monkey". This gives me a starting point.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:12 pm
Just for giggles, I cleared over some nasty cancer rust, surface rust, and existing paint on one of my project cars.
I had about 8 oz of clear I had to burn through, so I just sprayed it on the project without prep of any kind. Its been sitting in the same state, outside in the weather for about 2 - 3 years with no sign of change on the rust/cancer amount.
Just shiny rust. ;)
As long as the rust is encapsulated in clear enough to not have any poking through, I don't see why it wouldn't last a few years in the weather and longer indoors.

Return to Body and Paint