Nason re-coat window

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:53 am
I've checked DuPont website, searched web. Can't find anything about how long you have to clear after spraying base. Clear says re-coat anytime, I find that hard to believe.

Ray

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:26 am
Both the 83 and 93 ful base have a 15 min flash time before clear in ideal shop conditions

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:32 pm
Yes, I understand flash time. My question is how long can I wait. Not how long do I have to wait. I guess my question is what is the re-coat window before I have to color sand? And why do you have to re-spray the base?
I'm probably telling my age here, but standard procedure was spray base, wait a day, color sand, spray clear.
I hope that clears up my question.

Thanks,
Ray

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:26 pm
Sorry ray, I misunderstood ur question. My tech sheet says "recoat anytime" too! If u have to spray the base for w/e reason and leave it for a little while, just scuff it back down with 800grit and clear over it. If the base has some mattallic in it, dust another coat of base on after the 800grit then flash then clear. It's just uncommon to do it that way with a bc/cc system but it won't hurt a thing. You only have to respray the base to get metallic to look right and for chemical adhesion. I'm sure u have ur reasons why ur not sprayin color/clear in the same go around but I'm curious?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:06 pm
first you shouldn't sand the base unless you need to fix something. the common practice if you've waited to long to clear is just shoot another coat of base, same if you have to sand it to repair it. yes, ray I think your up their and thinking of the lacquer days when you did shoot your color and then sand the peel off the next day and clear. its not that way with base.
I see a lot of people here shoot base then wait a day or two to clear it, you should try and schedule 2-3 hours and do the base and clear all at one time.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:59 am
What's taking so long is laying out the stripes. The stencils suck, and it's hard to find the center line of the car. I only get to work on it on weekends. Plus other weekend chores get in the way. And Shovelfest is only 20 days away & my bike isn't ready.

Ray

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:41 am
Ur right! Technically u shouldn't sand the base but honestly it don't really hurt a thing, I've done it hundreds of times especially on bikes. Ray, Look into gettin an inercoat or mid coat clear from ur paint dealer u can lay it over ur base to seal it down inbetween colors and stripes, I don't use it but most people do for that kinda stuff. Another option is to get a fast spot/panel clear to lay over each coat of base so when ur ready for the next color, scuff it back real quick and lay the base right over it. It also helps bury tape lines and protects the base. It works for me but everybody has different ways.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:45 am
DuPont says 24 hrs max.
for Chromabase, Nason may be the different
but I wouldn't exceed the 24 hrs,
that's pretty standard for other brands too.

Look under flash times.
"Max time before recoating"

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/vis ... seBsct.pdf
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:06 pm
DeviousDesigns wrote:Ur right! Technically u shouldn't sand the base but honestly it don't really hurt a thing, I've done it hundreds of times especially on bikes. Ray, Look into gettin an inercoat or mid coat clear from ur paint dealer u can lay it over ur base to seal it down inbetween colors and stripes, I don't use it but most people do for that kinda stuff. Another option is to get a fast spot/panel clear to lay over each coat of base so when ur ready for the next color, scuff it back real quick and lay the base right over it. It also helps bury tape lines and protects the base. It works for me but everybody has different ways.

I was lightly water sanding to knock down the paint line & noticed my paper clogging. I figure that's a good sign a chemical bond is still available. So I sprayed the clear.

Return to Body and Paint