Bad Base Coat Match Omni YZ Oxford White Ford

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:11 pm
Bought some Omni base and Omni clear from a local supplyer to paint the bed of my truck. Trying to paint just the bed because the cab still looks good. Anyway, sprayed a junk fender and the tail gate access panel to check the match. The white is way off. The color code is YZ Oxford White 1995 F150. The guy at the paint supply said it might not match and if it didn't bring it back to be "tinted". The paint on the cab is original and not faded. I did take the gas door off the bed with me but the counter guy had no interest in trying to match it via scanning. Could I step up to PPG and get a better match?
Attachments
TailGateAccessPanelPaintedNextToCab3.JPG
FenderNextToCab (2).JPG

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:15 pm
In this picture where the side molding was removed from the bad you can see the paint under the molding matches the bed. This truck is not faded.
Attachments
BedLinerOut.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:22 pm
My PPG jobber has a rather large obvious sign behind the counter which reads, " No paint matches on Omni." That about says it all doesn't it? Yes, if you move up to PPG's premium Deltron stuff they should nail it. It is not cheap but I'll be they will get it to match. Coverage to achieve "hiding" with Omni is terrible as well.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:40 am
getting a butt match outta white sometimes can prove almost impossible sometimes its just the nature of tinting whites thats why most pros woulda just spot repaired that damaged area on you truck an blended the color into the existing color..asking for a white to panel paint sometimes takes time an alot of skill from the guy mixing the color. making adjustments an lots of sprayouts. i dont think your supplier is going to do it for free. best you can hope for now is "a close match" either that or blend into the back of the cab....hope this helps
if its blended its splendid

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:31 am
All thanks for feedback I will talk to supplier about options.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:45 pm
it's always best to do a sprayout card to check for match, i take the year, make model, and vin to my dupont dealer and they almost always hit it dead on in chromabase. :bighug:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:55 pm
The original counter guy I was working with had no idea what to do to get the paint to match and after a couple wasted trips and spray outs with no improvement I knew I had to find someone else. So I asked a local painter (he painted my son's Mustang years back) about this issue and ended up going to a different store of the same supplier franchise who had a counter guy known to be very skilled in matching paint. He did charge me for his time which was fine with me.

This white is very tricky, both original and the new paint look white on some angles and grey tint other angles. In some of the pictures the junk fender looks whiter then truck. On other angles the junk fender looks greyer then truck. If the panel surfaces are placed at the same angle the paint looks to match. Overall I think this is probably the best match I am going to be able to get.
Attachments
FenderWithNewTintedPaint5.JPG
FenderWithNewTintedPaint4.JPG
FenderWithNewTintedPaint3.JPG
FenderWithNewTintedPaint2.JPG
FenderWithNewTintedPaint1.JPG

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:09 am
Painted back side and jab area of tail gate and tail gate access panel. Do you guys think the match could be better or go with it?
Attachments
AccessPanelCab.JPG
TailGateGasDoor3.JPG

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:02 pm
i think you should just go with it.if ya get the box back on an get it outside an it drive ya bonkers you could take any base ya have an blend it into the back half of the cab. just make sure you have enuff base left to do that
if its blended its splendid

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:19 pm
Thanks. I paid to have an extra quart (unreduced) mixed up in the batch, should be enough left over to blend into the cab.

Return to Body and Paint