Best way to go around a truck and paint, maintain wet edge

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:50 am
I did search this forum, but maybe I don't have the correct terminology down. Came up empty.

While spraying epoxy primer to the roof of my 2000 Tundra Access Cab, I realized that using ladders and step stools may be an obstacle in getting around the truck quickly. I started on a ladder and did the front drivers side, then came down the ladder, moved it aft, and sprayed the rear half. Then down the ladder, up a step stool into the bed to the the rear cab area and right rear part of the roof. Then around to the other ladder to spray the right front.

By the time I did this (and I was hustling as fast as I could), some of the primer had already flashed off. Not a big deal with three coats of primer, but this won't do for the base/clear.

I know the importance of maintaining a wet edge, but even without the bed, there's still a lot of painting to do, and I'm not sure what order I need to paint in.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing. I'm going to build two scaffoldings that will put me at a comfortable height to do the roof, and long enough where I won't have to reposition to do the rear of the cab. I plan on starting at the rocker panel of one side, walk back and forth from front to rear and rear to front, moving up the side. I think with the bed off, I can do the rear of the cab in the same pass. Once I get to the windows, I'll do the pillars, then move the scaffolding over, climb up and do the roof and above the rear window. Hop off the scaffolding, do half the hood and front, move around and pick up the wet edge on the front and hood, hop up onto the other prepositioned scaffolding, pick up the (hopefully) wet edge of the roof and above the rear window, do the pillars, hop down off the scaffolding, move it out of the way, and work my way down the side, again going from the back of the cab, along the side, back and forth in long sweeps.

I'm worn out even thinking about it.

Please, if you have better ideas or tips, I'd love to hear them.

One of my concerns is spraying while walking back and forth. That seems like it would take a whole lot of skill, as opposed to doing a panel at a time. I'm very experienced with using a spray gun (to paint cabinet doors), and I think my technique is good, but cabinet doors are panels, really, and the only time I walk while spraying is when I'm shooting crown molding. Panel-by-panel seems easier. Any comments on the advantages/disadvantages of the two techniques?

Thanks in advance.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:33 pm
Use the slowest activator u can get for the clear you're usin. Or another option would be to spray the roof alone if it has trim or weather strip that would allow u to tape it off right. Once it's cure, mask it up and spray the rest of the truck without having to worry about the ladders or step stools.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:52 pm
DeviousDesigns wrote:Use the slowest activator u can get for the clear you're usin. Or another option would be to spray the roof alone if it has trim or weather strip that would allow u to tape it off right. Once it's cure, mask it up and spray the rest of the truck without having to worry about the ladders or step stools.

Both of those are great ideas, especially doing the roof first. That would make it so much easier. Thanks! :goodjob:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:15 pm
I've been reading the Sherwin-Williams Dimensions data sheet. Excerpt below:

WET-ON-WET/LIMITED FLASH APPLICATION Apply 2 wet coats, with no flash time between coats, at a
gun distance of 5 – 7 inches. Flash time between coats is not necessary. 2 to 3 minutes is the maximum
flash time between coats
. Desired film build is 2.0 – 2.5 mils (dry).

I'm painting a Tundra Access cab. I can't imagine being able to go around the whole truck in 2-3 minutes. What should I do, use a slower reducer and double coat each large section before moving on. I'm worried about maintaining a wet edge.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:26 pm
Which Dimension clear coat are you using? I looked up the PDS for both overall clear coats and they both have a 30-minute maximum, but the amount of "limited flash" is 2 - 3 minutes between coats.
Under Notes it says, "Maximum flash time between coats of clearcoat is 30 minutes."

If you are using a slow reducer (or hot, 85F+) it will help keep the window open longer and you should be able to keep a wet edge for a few minutes longer.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:25 pm
When I have a large area to do I'll mix a lot of retarder in place of the
normal amount of reducer for the very last coat.
It won't run as easy with the same ratio but it will stay wet much longer.
I've added so much at times you could just fog on the last coat and it
would melt in all over without running.
Of course it is harder to keep clean that way.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:33 pm
vwbobby wrote:Which Dimension clear coat are you using? I looked up the PDS for both overall clear coats and they both have a 30-minute maximum, but the amount of "limited flash" is 2 - 3 minutes between coats.
Under Notes it says, "Maximum flash time between coats of clearcoat is 30 minutes."

If you are using a slow reducer (or hot, 85F+) it will help keep the window open longer and you should be able to keep a wet edge for a few minutes longer.

I think what my paint supplier is going to sell me is the Dimensions Overall clear coat.

I'm still a little confused. The recommended application method is two coats wet-on-wet.

APPLICATION
· Apply 2 wet coats using a limited flash application method
· 8-10 psi at the cap - HVLP
· 20-24 psi inlet - Compliant Spray Guns
· See page 2 for application techniques

But then I see the note where it states max 30 minutes flash time.

Is this a product that you can do wet-on-wet if you're an Earl Scheib type paint shop and need to get it out the door, or take longer and do a coat, wait for flash, then recoat?

Thanks.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:45 pm
That's a good question and unfortunately I don't have the answer for you. I haven't used that particular product, just the similar Martin Senour line - which isn't exactly the same, but close (same company).

I would call the Sherwin-Williams refinish tech line at: 1-800-798-5872 and ask them specifically if you have to stick to the 2 - 3 minutes or if you can also use 30-minutes between coats. It's very confusing the way it is written.... :? I have a feeling its intended to be used both ways, but I don't want to steer you wrong. ;)

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:50 am
vwbobby wrote:That's a good question and unfortunately I don't have the answer for you. I haven't used that particular product, just the similar Martin Senour line - which isn't exactly the same, but close (same company).

I would call the Sherwin-Williams refinish tech line at: 1-800-798-5872 and ask them specifically if you have to stick to the 2 - 3 minutes or if you can also use 30-minutes between coats. It's very confusing the way it is written.... :? I have a feeling its intended to be used both ways, but I don't want to steer you wrong. ;)

I'll call them and post their answer. Thanks.

Return to Body and Paint