Testing spray gun

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:10 am
What material can I use to test my spraying skills and to get the hang of adjusting the gun?. I don't want to use my epoxy, but I will if that's necessary. So, is there anything (cheap) that I can use to test my spraying skills. I will contact the local paint supplier to see if they have something laying around they don't want or will let go for real cheap. But besides that, what are my other options (cheap options).

Thanks...Al
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:44 am
your could ask them for mismatched paint, they normally sell it off cheap,
krem

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:26 am
If u plan on sprayin base/clear on ur project, practice with base/clear. Same if ur gonna use a single stage. The application of each is a lil different.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:43 am
If your actually wanting to paint something then hit the paint store and see if they have miss-mixed paint cheap. If your looking to just adjust air (trigger pulled), fan pattern, and practice the stroke, use water or cheap gun cleaner thinner (water is cheaper). Just make sure the gun is clean before you do the real paint job.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:15 am
INXS2 wrote:If your actually wanting to paint something then hit the paint store and see if they have miss-mixed paint cheap. If your looking to just adjust air (trigger pulled), fan pattern, and practice the stroke, use water or cheap gun cleaner thinner (water is cheaper). Just make sure the gun is clean before you do the real paint job.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. INXS2 ironic you say to use water or cleaner because I was wandering if I could. Question. If I can get some mix match paint, do I need thinners, hardeners etc. or can I just practice with the paint alone?

Thanks again...Al
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:27 pm
Personally, I'd mix the paint the way it's suppose to be mixed. Is it base coat or a single stage? You might not need the hardener in the base to spray it. You'll need whatever thinners the manufacture recommends and mixed to the right ratio. On one of the other forums that you posted this same question, someone replied that they wouldn't put water through they're gun, what about the water based paints? Clean your gun with cheap thinner (NOT mineral spirits) and you'll be OK.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:25 pm
INXS2 wrote:Personally, I'd mix the paint the way it's suppose to be mixed. Is it base coat or a single stage? You might not need the hardener in the base to spray it. You'll need whatever thinners the manufacture recommends and mixed to the right ratio. On one of the other forums that you posted this same question, someone replied that they wouldn't put water through they're gun, what about the water based paints? Clean your gun with cheap thinner (NOT mineral spirits) and you'll be OK.

I found some cheap paint (quart) that was mixed wrong. I didn't not buy any thinner or hardener because I figured the viscosity would be similar to epoxy and since I am using a primer gun it would be ok. What do you think?

Al

Return to Body and Paint