Questions about cutting in door jambs etc...and paint?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:09 pm
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum. I will be visiting here a lot since im about to start painting my 66 chevelle. The car is 100% completely disassembled, and is primed with an epoxy primer. Since I have everything removed I would like to start cutting in the jambs, etc. I am going to be painting the exterior of the car with a BC/CC urethane in Marina Blue. I will not be painting the exterior myself. However I would like to do as much as possible to prep the car to save money. I would like to do all the cutting in myself. Once I paint the edges of everything, door jambs etc. I will put the body parts back on. My question is can I get away with using a lacquer, or a single stage urethane for all my cutting in? If so will it still be a close enough match to the exterior BC/CC to be presentable? I feel comfortable shooting lacquer or single stage thats why im asking. Thank you in advance!!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:42 pm
No to the lacquer, it's incompatable with urethanes.
However you can do the jambs, underhood, undertrunk, etc with a single stage urethane.
Many folks do it that way, and it gives an acceptable paint job.

Check with the future painter though, to see if he wants you to do this, and how much
it will actually save you. The cost of the extra paint type might not make it worthwhile...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:51 pm
Nighttrain, Thanks for the reply! When you say "acceptable" in using SS for cutting in do you think it will match close enough with the final bc-cc paint or be very noticeable when the door is open? The color is going to be Marina Blue. It is a metallic color

Thanks in advance!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:39 pm
coreydmc wrote:Nighttrain, Thanks for the reply! When you say "acceptable" in using SS for cutting in do you think it will match close enough with the final bc-cc paint or be very noticeable when the door is open? The color is going to be Marina Blue. It is a metallic color

Thanks in advance!

The best answer I can give you is, "It depends".
The paint mix will be different between the two paint types, even though it's the same code.
There's also the extra masking of the jambs, hood and trunk to be considered. Also the overall
quality you're looking for. If the Chevelle is a driver, you might consider doing the jambs in SS,
but if it's a show car, definitely do it all over in the BC/CC.

Since it's all disassembled now, sounds like it would be easier to paint it with the one type
all over...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:22 am
I agree. i will use BC-CC. I would like to paint all at one but i dont think I will have the proper time frame to basecoat and then clear. I was going to shoot the jambs etc now than when i get the car back together shoot the remaining body

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:25 pm
That's a good plan.

Return to Body and Paint