Tip Size Question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:10 pm
Hey guys, sorry about all the questions lately, but you are all a helpful bunch so I feel like I can trust you with assistance.

I have been doing all my spraying with a Devilbiss FLG4 which came with three tips 1.3-1.5-1.8. I have been spraying my primer which is a 2K primer high build with the 1.8 tip and it seems to do great. Now my question is on the color coat/clear coat.

I am spraying a Kirker Single Stage paint which I am mixing equal parts clear right into it according to Kirker's instructions. The instructions for the clear call for a 1.3-1.4 tip and color call for a 1.2-1.4 tip to be used. Now I have been spraying everything so far (not the primer) using a 1.5 tip. Am I really fudging things up using a 1.5mm tip? What would the differences be between using a 1.3mm tip and the 1.5? How do different size tips manipulate the paint when spraying?

Thanks for the help!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:23 pm
All a larger tip is doing is allow more material through. Generally, a smaller tip size will aid in atomization because you have the same amount of air being put through the gun (assuming same aircap is always used) - but less material through the tip. So the high velocity air impinging on the stream of paint coming out of the gun has a better chance of breaking up that paint into tiny droplets (i.e. atomize the paint).

Sometimes smaller is a problem because you can end up with less film build and/or a dry finish, which you don't want with your clear. I've personally found that on most guns a 1.3 or 1.4 tip works good for base and clear; I lean toward the 1.4 tip for clear because I like to apply good wet coats of clear. Never used a 1.5 for either.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:54 pm
So I hate to ask.

I only have a 1.3 and 1.5 to choose from for the base/clear, am I better off shooting with the 1.3?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:45 pm
Every gun and every painter is a little different. I've found that a 1.3 tip on a SATA 4000 is good for clear, while a 1.4 tip on a Tekna Prolite is good. The risk you run with a "too large" tip is applying the material too heavy -- so runs or maybe solvent pop. But if you move quickly enough, it won't matter. The robots at the factory probably use a 5.0mm tip but they move over the car really fast and they have a 24" fan ;-)

Short answer: If the tech sheet says 1.3 is the recommended tip and you are relatively new to the game, then that's what I would use. If you've been using a 1.5 so far with no issues then no harm continuing if that that is what you are comfortable with.

Return to Body and Paint