First time Paint Job - Bare Metal Prep and Flash Rusting

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:29 am
Hello All,

First of all, sorry for the long post!

I am currently in the process of doing bodywork and paint to my car. My plan is to strip the panels and body down to bare metal, fix problem spots, and then paint the car all myself. This is the first time I have done any sort of work this extensive and pretty much have zero to very little actual experience in this field. I have always wanted to learn and figured their is no better time then now to start. Needless to say I have many questions and have done a lot of research, finding both very helpful and useful information as well as seemingly contradictory info on certain topics and issues.

I have decide to go with Nason products for paint including Epoxy, High build, Sealer, and more than likely base coat and clear. I also have a Dura-block assortment with a verity of grits for each step in the process. As for filler, I will be using Evercoat Gold body filler for trouble spot I cannot beat out with a hammer and dolly.

Anyway, the reason I posted is a question I seem to have been getting mixed reviews on. Specifically the prep of bare metal once stripped.

I am using Kleen-Strip Aircraft stripper to remove paint and once fully removed have sanded lightly with 60 grit sandpaper to remove pieces of paint and primer left behind. I have also decided to do filler over bare metal, rather then epoxy over bare metal then filler. I know this is a long running debate but for me and according to Evercoat's application data, it is better to apply their filler over bare metal.

**My question then is what is the proper process of prepping a bare metal panel. I have looked online, read in books, and read over the sticky here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16694 all of which provided great information but I am still a bit confused since some sources claim flash rusting to be a problem with different cleaners and wiping down panels with a wet rags/ isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Basically, my understanding of the process goes as follows:

1. chemically strip paint off of the panel
2. wash off completely with water
3. sand left over paint and primer 60-80 grit.
4. Sand entire bare metal panel with 120 grit (sanding should get rid of any flash rusting problems at this point in time)
5. wipe with Nason 441-05 Wax and grease remover
6. Apply Guidecoat, sand, apply filler, sand problem areas smooth
7. Wipe with Nason 441-05 Wax and grease remover. (will this product be OK to use over the filler before I spray epoxy primer? will it break down the filler?)
8. Set in a low humidity environment until application of Nason Ful-Poxy Epoxy Primer.

Would this be the correct order in which to prep bare metal panels for epoxy primer? I am doing a couple of panels at a time before I shoot them with epoxy primer. They will be sitting in my house where it is the least humid while the other panels are prepped. I am worried that wiping bare metal panels down with water or Wax and Grease remover will allow the panels to flash rust. Should I be worried about this and how do I handle it? I could be a bit paranoid, but I do not want to epoxy over a panel that to the eye looks rust free, but in reality has already started flash rusting on a microscopic level? Would a product like Picklex-20, Metal Prep, or OSPHO be needed in my situation and will they be compatible with Nason Ful-Poxy?

Below is a picture of two panels I am currently working on. The trunk has been sanded with 80grit, wiped with a wet rag to remove stripper, then dried and let sit in my dining room for a little over a week, To the eye it doesn't look like any flash rusting has started. The Fender is still in the process of being stripped.

Thanks for all of the help! I really appreciate it!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:49 pm
You're over-thinking it ;-)

wipe off w&g remover with a clean rag, then go ahead and do your filler work. We've had cars in the garage for days with exposed metal on panels, with no flash rust.

Don't worry about flash rust unless you can see it and don't use any of the metal magic potions they have a high probability of causing problems.

On another note, I never guidecoat before filler.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:49 pm
chris wrote:You're over-thinking it ;-)

wipe off w&g remover with a clean rag, then go ahead and do your filler work. We've had cars in the garage for days with exposed metal on panels, with no flash rust.

Don't worry about flash rust unless you can see it and don't use any of the metal magic potions they have a high probability of causing problems.

On another note, I never guidecoat before filler.

Thanks a bunch! That's exactly what I needed to know, I figured I was over thinking it. I'm just a bit paranoid I guess, since it is the first time I have ever done anything like this. I just want to do it right the first time. Also, the reason i have guidecoat before filler is to help show problem areas that I would not see by looking at the panel outright. Is their a better way than this, or should I tackle those areas later once the main dings/dents are filled and epoxy'd

One other question if you don't mind. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a "cheaper" gun for spraying epoxy primer and high build primer (I'm getting a higher end gun for actual paint and clear). I have a 150 PSI 26 gallon Craftsman 1.5 HP rated at 5.0 CFM @ 40 PSI. This is well underrated for the gun which is rated at 12 CFM @ 45 PSI. If I Epoxy one panel at a time, will the craftsman compressor work strictly for the priming process?

Thanks again!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:11 pm
I knew where you were headed with the guidecoat on bare metal, but to me it is easy enough to see the spots on bare metal that need filler -- so why put another product on the metal and have to sand it off anyway...the guidecoat is good for finding the low spots after you shoot 2K primer, IMO...

If you nurse that compressor along you should be ok to panel-paint with primer, yes. I wouldn't run it that way all day, but a panel at a time over days should be workable.

Return to Body and Paint