Newbeeee - Orange Peel during clear

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:39 pm
Thanks Coy, I do appreciate the advice. I plan on painting many projects, as I enjoy the work, just gets frustrating when I have to do something over again because of major orange peel and I can't figure out why. After wet sanding, the finish is like glass but as I mentioned earlier, the peel is so bad that it takes days to sand, and just tonight, I ended up burning through the clear on my bed panel because the clear is so cratered. I'm going to have to sand down and re-paint / clear this weekend. I can tell you I've not sprayed at that high pressure before, so I'm going to try that and see if it flows better and get a slow reducer.

thanks again guys I really appreciate it.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:47 pm
Some good advice there, Coy.

I agree. The cheap guns end up costing you in the long run, both in time and materials. At the other end of the spectrum, though, I've found that the really expensive guns don't necessarily give a better result than some of those in the mid-range. Once you have a gun that is reasonably capable it's then a case of learning how to use it. I use a Tekna for clear on bigger jobs but I have an Iwata/Air Gunsa AZ3 that I use more often and it is capable of better results, especially when coupled with the right products. Very little of my work gets wet sanded, no time or margin in the jobs for that, so quality has to be good enough to go straight off the gun, maybe with a little denibbing where required.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:04 pm
dripsnruns is there a clear you would recommend I use? The paint place gave me no recommendations.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:13 pm
this is what the cab looks like now after wet sanding for two days. There is a couple spots where it burned through, but won't be seen.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:21 pm
I have that same gun GFG-670 i use it for clear only.great finishes !

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:24 pm
TRY spraying @ 30-35 psi @ the gun.THese MFGs should never give tip pressure it confuses people and you cant measure it!
Previous

Return to Body and Paint