Did basecoat today but it's to light

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:01 pm
I am doing a 72 Chevy truck, and today I sprayed the cab (two tone) with was is supposed to be Marina blue, but it looks identical to an old Sonata I had that was Celadon green, and it's just to light for what I was trying to achieve. I haven't done any clear yet and was wondering what prep I would need to do if I want to spay a different color tomorrow. The roof is already done in white, with both base and clear and masked off, so I won't have to worry about that, but I have about a 14" section on the cab that I also did in white today, and was just going to clear that when I did the blue. (that little section on the "B" piller) I didn't even want to attempt the clear today since I really want to go with a darker blue

I thought the base had to be cleared within in 4 hours, so will I also need to re-do the white tomorrow? This is what I'm trying to achieve (except with a blue in place of the green) The blue I did today was ProSpray, but I'll be picking up PPG DBC to re spray (using ********** Universal clear)

Bill

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:16 pm
Nice truck!

Technically, yes...if beyond the window for clear on the base, you'd need to sand it and re-base. How much adhesion will you lose with the clear? Nobody knows and anyone who says would be guessing...on that project it's not worth risking...

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:24 pm
Ok, thanks. So if I just sand everything tomorrow with a 500 grit right before I spray, I can just respray the white and my new darker blue? I don't need to sand and do more primer/sealer, right?

Bill

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:36 pm
Correct, if shooting more base over existing base then no sealer is needed.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:47 pm
Nice, thanks for the help :)

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:59 pm
Scuff the base with a gray scotch brite and your good to go

Return to Body and Paint