HALO Help!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:04 pm
PPG Deltron 2000 with PPG 2002 Clear. Base mixes 1:1. Had to mix it 1:1/2 cause it lifts the clear. Has a halo and other spot repairs appear to light? Please ignore the dry shot. Any suggestions???
Attachments
halo.jpg

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:49 pm
looks like poor coverage to me. A halo would have a defined edge, which I'm not seeing in the photo (?)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:27 pm
Could be, had to spray light case of it lifting the clear. Will sand tomorrow and try it my detail gun.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:34 am
Your blend is too small, you under reduced the paint and applied dry coats; of course it won't match. Using your detail gun will make it worse. A smaller tip will atomize the paint differently. Use the same gun with which the car was painted and actually blend the base. Put down a wetbed if you have little experience. Adding DX57 to your basecoat initially would have solved your lifting problem. Clear that has been sanded through will often lift when no basecoat hardener was used, that's why sand-throughs need to be sealed before topcoating.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:51 pm
Unfortunately my PPG supplier said nothing about DX57. Lesson learned on that one. Just shot a coat of sealer on repaired area. How long should I wait to clear the top coat? I've heard the longer the better on repairs.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:50 pm
There's a difference between a jobber and a rep. Some jobbers may offer additional info but it's not their job to educate a customer on paint procedures. And a rep will not go to a hobbiests house, they deal with shops.

If the sealer did not lift, the BC will not unless you hammer it on. Judging by your post time, the window has passed. If so, follow the TDS for your sealer, that's what it's for. It's best to do your research before a job, not during or after a repair. If you read the TDS for DBC you would have seen DX57. Not knowing what it was should have prompted you to acquire additional knowledge.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:43 am
I normally shoot DCC concepts. First time using Deltron and in metallic. And YES, I read the TDS's. My TDS shows DX 57 as an option. Last I might ad, on the TDS mixing ratio section. "Caution: DX57 must be added when DBC is used in any of these ways: Over NSC1990, in Tri-color Systems, in Vibrance Color Systems. So therefore it was not a requirement for my application. However, I am finding out it would have assisted in the lifting issue. I know the difference between a "rep and a jobber." Thanks for the help. :clap:

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:06 pm
When using base for something like that never wet the base on. Don't dry spray it either. Dust it on. Pretend your coloring a picture. Your blending in the color until it looks the same. Putting base on wet will give you a lot of trash. Its hard to tell but I can see sand scratches under the base. Its not covered good enough and the color is way off. That color is not blendable. Your wasting your time. You need a different variant. Theres a lot of trial and errors when you don't do it for a living and do not work in a controlled environment.

Return to Body and Paint