East Wood Plum Loco Single Stage

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:52 pm
Hi

I have been grinding away (literally and figuratively) at my Austin Mini Cooper race car for two years. It's on a rotisserie and I've done the complete car in two coats of Pro Form epoxy primer. The roll cage was done in black, and the inside and bottom of the car was done in Eastwood Rat Rod Gray single stage topcoat. Everything has gone reasonably well considering this is my first restoration. This is not a concours car, it is a race car but I've done better than most of the cars in my group.

I will be next be using Pro Form high fill urethane on the exterior of the car and sand it until my arms fall off.

My specific question is whether anyone has used Eastwood Plum Loco single stage topcoat? Results? And if there are any suggestions on a reasonably priced single stage please feel free to comment. And feel free to be brutal in you assessments. It won't hurt my delicate sensibilities.
:knockout:

Cheers,

Bob

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:47 pm
Would love to see pictures of that project so put a thread up in the "member projects" forum if you feel like it :-)

I have not used Eastwood SS paint (or any other of their paints) but I'm going to guess two things. First, they are probably not horrible for doing a complete - but don't count on them for any color match later. Second, it's a line of paint from some other company that they are slapping their name on. I would at least try to find out if it is manufactured in the USA. There are many willing partners exporting paint from China, in which case I'd be leery of it just on consistency.

Have you tried your local paint jobber to see if they have a reasonable line they would recommend?

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:32 pm
Chris

The local NAPA thought Nason would be good for the topcoat. The folks at Carquest thought Limco (by BASF) might be a good choice.

Bob

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:47 pm
I've used Nason before; it's DuPont's low-cost line and not a bad paint. I know I have used Limco once but honestly don't remember on what or how I felt about it...I think someone had a gallon of base they wanted me to use.

Give the "advanced search" here a shot...might turn up something. Take a look at this example, using the first post of a thread as the search target - I find that it really helps narrow in on the key word(s) I'm searching for. Lot's of hits on Nason and a few on Limco.

search_tip.jpg

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:04 pm
Chris

If I wanted to step to the next level in Dupont what would you recommend. I'm not going to need more than a gallon of paint to do a Mini. Still want a single stage for simplicity.

Bob

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:32 pm
DuPont was bought last year by another company, so not sure if you can still get Centari; it's decent paint. Might have been rebranded by now - I'm really not sure.

Also check out PPG Shopline if your jobber carries it...many do not I think it's restricted to larger volume places. If you can find it the urethane product (not the enamel) is very good.

I wouldn't shy away from Nason, for a dark purple like that you should get good coverage; give three good coats so you can cut/buff it. IF it is a solid color -- if you are thinking of shooting a SS metallic then I think I need convince you to consider a base/clear system. SS metallic paint cannot be wetsanded for buffing -- the metallic particles will be sheared off and you'll have silver or white specks all over your panels.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:34 pm
Chris

It is a solid colour that I was going to use.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:28 am
I have seen it repeated on the internet that Eastwood paint is re-branded Kirker paint. Whether that is actually based on fact, I do not know. While Eastwood is a good company, their prices can usually be beat. Places like Smart Shoppers Inc sell Kirker online for competitive prices. I have only used Kirker epoxy so I do not know about their topcoats.
However, over the years (I am just an hobbyist) I have learned that most times I am better off going to my local jobber. I usually get good advice, decent prices and great service.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:11 am
I bought my Kirker from Autobodytool mart, cheapest I can find that paint and they have free shipping over $99 until Monday

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:06 pm
Hi again

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I will check with local jobbers before ordering Eastwood paint. I'm in Canada and I've found the guy who acts as a go between in Canada to be very helpful, but on the other hand I appreciate help from local guys.

Bob

Return to Body and Paint