summit racing base/clear

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:02 pm
I have used the search function to read all i can find to try and build an opinion on the brand, still
am in limbo.
Painting a 1985 c10 for my son's first truck. It will be parked outside mostly and driven daily. I have taken it to metal, epoxy (crossfire) done the filler work and put 2K high build (finishline).
My local napa pushes the Finishline 720 clear and I have read a lot of negative things about it, so started researching Summits
Brand which seem to get a pretty good review.
I was just curious about thoughts on how well the clear would hold up?
I have sprayed PPG and Omni brand and like them, but its hard to get locally now (1 supply shop closed) now only one in town and its difficult to get too. I realize that the Deltron 4000 is priced higher for a reason and it did seem to spray better for me, but I can't pay that for a 16 year olds first vehicle. Hugger Orange
Anyway Summit brand Thoughts? and High solid clear vs Low solid clear for someone who has painted only about 5 cars?
Is High Solids harder to get to lay down and not peel as opposed to Low solids?
Great site Great info
Thanks so much for the help.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:46 pm
Have you checked out the clear coats available here?
Chris has made available some fine products at reasonable prices: http://www.autobody101.com/store/about-tamco

I have had good success with Pro Spray base coat which is priced reasonably. Also heard great things about Wanda base coat and it is very reasonably priced.

Also, ********** now sells an Orange Base Coat that you can find at the bottom of this pricing list: http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Pricing%20Info.htm and pricing includes shipping costs.

I am sure that whatever Summit Racing is selling that it is just repackaged paint from another supplier.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 am
I am almost 101% positive that summit paints are re-baged Kirker paints, they even have the SAME EXACT color line up.

Return to Body and Paint