Consistent orange peel drives me nuts

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:19 pm
I've sprayed multi clears (DuPont-chroma premiere,ppg dcu2021, matrix) and for the life of me i can't stay away from orange peel. I'm using a debilvibiss gti gun with a 1.2 tip (tip model 2000). I'm at 30 psi and about 4-5 inches from panel. Use 60-75 % overlap. I have to go extremely slow to get it to flow. My volume is pretty low which is why I have pace so slow. Do I need up my pressure and my volume? Back off the panel? Any suggestion is appreciated. I wouldn't mind a better gun iwata or sata but like to get the technique down before I buy a 400$+ gun. Please help. Color sanding my **** off is getting old very fast
:knockout:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:32 am
When you are spraying can you see a dry edge even with overlap?

I have a far less expensive gun, a Devilbiss FLG4. I use a 1.3mm tip using 23PSI (what the gun calls for) and have the needle about 2.5 turns out (3 if needed), and as I spray I can see the amounts of paint coming out, as it lands I can see it almost bunch up like it is going to run, but then level out, so it doesn't give me dry edges or orange peel.

Also is the color coat already showing orange peel? It sounds like you are more advance at painting than I am, but this is what has worked for me.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:26 am
Need to increase your tip size.
1.2 is not letting enough product reach the panel, especially at that high pressure.

Try a 1.4 tip for clear coat and see if things don't go better. Also, using a slower activator than what is called for will help it flow better.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:15 pm
f575gtc wrote:When you are spraying can you see a dry edge even with overlap?

I have a far less expensive gun, a Devilbiss FLG4. I use a 1.3mm tip using 23PSI (what the gun calls for) and have the needle about 2.5 turns out (3 if needed), and as I spray I can see the amounts of paint coming out, as it lands I can see it almost bunch up like it is going to run, but then level out, so it doesn't give me dry edges or orange peel.

Also is the color coat already showing orange peel? It sounds like you are more advance at painting than I am, but this is what has worked for me.

Thanks man I'll give that a try

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:18 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Need to increase your tip size.
1.2 is not letting enough product reach the panel, especially at that high pressure.

Try a 1.4 tip for clear coat and see if things don't go better. Also, using a slower activator than what is called for will help it flow better.

I thought that was a part of it. I like the 1.1 tip on my touch up gun. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes

Return to Body and Paint