Painting Wagoneer Roof

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:31 pm
About to paint a Wagoneer roof using an off-white SS urethane; Mini Pepper White to be precise.

I want to paint the underside and outside of the gutter at the same time. How to approach it to assure good coverage to the inside of the gutter and the rest of the roof?

Give it a squirt with the gun pointed upward to get the bottom, another inward to get the side, another outward to get the inside, then aim toward the roof and a continuous pass toward the center? All this with fan aligned lengthwise. Is there a better approach?

When I primed it I did the whole car then went back and touched up inside the gutter with a brush which required a lot of sanding. Like to avoid that with the finish coat.

I need to add a final coat of primer. How long does ********** need before tape can be applied to mask the sides?

A picher of what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:14 pm
Adjust the fan down, rotate the air cap so you're comfortable, and spray the gutter. Then continue with the rest of the roof. Or don't adjust the fan down, and "sweep" the gun into the gutter with short strokes, to get coverage in there. There's no textbook method for this - whatever you are comfortable doing.

If your primer does not leave a fingerprint you should be fine for taping over it.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:46 pm
Thanks for the reply.

Went to prime it Saturday morning under a car canopy but by the time I was ready the sun was on the cover and the surface was HOT; 114* according to an electronic meat thermometer. Waited until after sundown and shot it. Only a few runs. Pretty good considering how bad the light was getting. Since the gutter had sealer it wasn't as deep and didn't have the crevice on the outside.

The plan was to do the finish coats Sunday morning but by the time I got the masking done and sanding a few spots it was getting too hot again, even with an additional silver tarp over the canopy. I decided to take Monday off and finish but had to work.

The ********** epoxy has a 7 day window but with a few hours at a surface temp over 100 then five days in the garage in the 80’s or 90’s I figure I need to scuff it up before painting Saturday. Am I wrong?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:54 pm
You are correct...it needs to be sanded or scuffed.

Return to Body and Paint