Ford Gem Green Metallic (paint code W6)

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:31 pm
I'm in the process of repainting my 2000 Tundra, and hopefully if I get a week long break with work soon, I'll be ready to spray the base coat/clear coat. The original color is Jade Green Mica, which I never really liked.

I was driving down the highway a few months back when I saw the most beautiful green color on a 2013/2014 Ford F-150. I thought it was black until I got right up next to it. I loved it so much that I wanted to follow the guy home to ask for the paint code, but decided that was too weird.

The other day I was at a furniture store, and I saw this same color on another brand new Ford F-150. While I was walking around admiring the color, I could have sworn it was changing from dark green to black, depending on the angle.

So, the question is, is this paint one of those that changes color, like the ones that go from orange to purple, or chartreuse to pink? If so, does it spray on just like a normal metallic? Would I be absolutely crazy to try to do this color myself, being a hobbiest. Tell me all you know about it.

I really love the color!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:31 pm
It's an additive in a mid coat (tri-stage). Not too bad to do if doing a complete but not easy to repair.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:34 am
chris wrote:It's an additive in a mid coat (tri-stage). Not too bad to do if doing a complete but not easy to repair.

I may be wise to forego this complex paint job. Due to limited shop space, and to do it "right", I'm going to remove the bed from the truck and paint them separately. From viewing just a few YouTube videos it is obvious that minor variations in how I apply the stages would result in vastly different results, i.e., the bed might not match the cab, or even more likely, the cab may not match the cab. If I spray a tad bit heavier here and there, I'd probably wind up with blotchiness.

So, I'll have to tamp down my "I can do anything" ego, and stick with a base/clear.

Do you concur?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:53 am
chris wrote:It's an additive in a mid coat (tri-stage). Not too bad to do if doing a complete but not easy to repair.

What about Toyota's Spruce Green Mica? Would that be an easier paint job, not fraught with peril? I like that color a lot more than Jade Green Mica.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:21 pm
BUMP (to Chris).

Whaddayathink/know? Is Spruce Green Mica easier? Any concerns with doing the cab and bed separately, assuming I duplicate inlet pressure, gun adjustments, caffeine levels, etc?

Thanks,
Nate

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:40 pm
Sorry Nate, didn't see this until tonight. I'm not up on all the latest paint codes, so the best bet is to check with your jobber and find out what that color calls for. Sometimes you can get a base that is a pretty darn good match for a tri-stage, without needing the mid coat. We had one at the house here the other day, a Chrysler red pearl and found a non tri-stage code that ended up being a blendable match.

For your first attempt I would find a nice base I could live with and do the base/clear route.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:25 pm
chris wrote:Sorry Nate, didn't see this until tonight. I'm not up on all the latest paint codes, so the best bet is to check with your jobber and find out what that color calls for. Sometimes you can get a base that is a pretty darn good match for a tri-stage, without needing the mid coat. We had one at the house here the other day, a Chrysler red pearl and found a non tri-stage code that ended up being a blendable match.

For your first attempt I would find a nice base I could live with and do the base/clear route.

Talked to my automotive paint supplier today. Both the Gem Green Metallic and the Spruce Green Mica are available in a base coat/clear coat application. They'll sell me a pint of each so I can experiment. I may try to find a hood from a scrap yard (if it's cheap enough) and try it out.

They sell Sherwin Williams Dimensions paints. Seems to be a decent quality acrylic urethane system. $300 to do my truck. Any opinions on this paint? I know with PPG I'll probably be getting into the $800 range.

Thanks,
Nate

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:39 pm
I have not personally used it, but I know people who have with no complaints. I think you'll be fine with that line.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:37 pm
Just to confirm what Chris said about 2-stage substituting for the tri-stage;
A while back I did paint work on the daughter's Laser Red Pearl mustang (tri-stage), using
a 2-stage mix. There was no difference at all between the two paint types, at least to the
naked eye...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:07 pm
That's great. Now I just have to decide between the two colors.

Thanks guys!
Next

Return to Body and Paint