Seam Sealer Help...Trunk Leaks

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:11 pm
How long before it rusted through? Even with no weld through primer it would take years to rott out. Are you from up north?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 pm
I'm in virginia. I I don't think they put any kind of corrosion protection at all, not even undercoating. If you climbed under the back of the car you could see holes/gaps into the trunk and the bumper tabs didn't even line up. What's sad is the first shop had the car for 3 months and still didn't care to do a proper job. It wasn't an insurance job it was out of pocket so I took it back over and over and they'd do bubble gum fixes and nothing worked so I gave up and took it elsewhere and got the first shop to pay for some of the second repair. All the welds rotted but not completely through. It was about 2 years before I got it repaired the second time.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:01 pm
I took the car in for the shop to check out and they are going to spot weld it with the machine that does the perfect spot welds don't know what it's called I've only seen it once. I'm gonna drop it off for the day on Tuesday so they can do the job then go from there. Thanks so far for the help.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:07 pm
No problem :happy:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:24 am
I went and had the area welded and yesterday I sanded, primed, seam sealed and painted the area. The seam sealer didn't spread with brush strokes like I thought it would but it looks covered so here's hoping it all works out. The paint also didn't match as well as I had hoped but that's not too much of a big deal to me. If the leaks are gone then I'll take mismatched paint as a trade off for sure. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll see the results then than post them up here. Again here's hoping!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:54 am
Sorry it took me so far to get back here. We kept having overnight rains and I could never tell how heavy they were. We finally had a good rain in the daytime 2 days ago. The leak hasn't showed back up so far so I think it is fixed now! Thank you all so much for the help!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:01 am
Happy to hear that
Previous

Return to Body and Paint