F150 Painting

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:08 pm
Wondering what the best way to approach this is? Repainting the whole truck.....bed is currently off (frame looks awesome and bodywork on bed) ... but should I paint the back of cab and front of box, poor the bed on the truck and then paint the whole truck? Paint the cab and bed separately? What's the best way to do this? Have to put together a paint booth putt of plastic, and pvc (any suggestions on doing this?) With fans and filters. My shop is 30' long, it would be push it to pout both the cab and bed in there without the bed on the frame. Not sure how the best way to do this is? It seems you would want to pain the cab and bed with the same paint at the same time. Repainting the same color, wonder about not even painting the back of the cab and front of bed....but....what if New paint doesn't exactly match the twenty year old paint....not sure anybody would ever notice but myself....any thoughts?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:27 pm
I'd paint the box/bed separate from the cab then reassemble later. You don't have to totally separate the two -- you can slide the bed back a couple of feet so you have access.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:40 pm
X2 paint the bed and the cab seperate.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:36 am
But wouldn't you run the chance painting them separate....If the paint isn't mixed absolutely exactly the same, of the cab and box not matching perfectly? Personally I see that as a extremely low possibility. And there will be no sliding of the bed on the frame! LOL I spent hours upon hours upon hours and then a few more on the frame of this truck, it looks better than when it came out of the factory. LOL but seriously, if painting desperately is what most do, that would make things a whole lot easier that's for sure.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14 am
The bed and truck are already separate, so moving them apart a couple more feet isn't going to make a difference. If you are talking about painting both parts on totally different days then I can see why you might be concerned about paint match.

Here's what I do. If I have a gallon of paint that will be used over a long period of time, mix it really well - then pour it off into empty quart containers. You won't have a problem with matching. If metallic paint make sure you write down your gun settings and keep that consistent between doing the cab and the bed.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:42 am
mrslyfox wrote:........And there will be no sliding of the bed on the frame! LOL I spent hours upon hours upon hours and then a few more on the frame of this truck, it looks better than when it came out of the factory. LOL but seriously, if painting desperately is what most do, that would make things a whole lot easier that's for sure.

Lift up the side of the bed and put cardboard (or a pad of some kind) between the bed and frame. That'll protect it
when moving it backward.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:10 pm
The bed is currently totally off the truck, it's on its separate stand... guess I hadn't even thought about putting it back on the frame, but not all the way into position for painting.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:39 pm
What year F150?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:17 pm
1994 regular cab long bed (8').
Owned her since she was new.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:42 pm
Unless your putting down a three stage you have no worries about the paint not matching. It comes out of the same can and you spray the same amount of coats. If its a metallic keep the same air pressure.

Return to Body and Paint