Paint Crinkle

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:46 pm
I'm painting my Camaro with Nason Ful-Base. During painting some idiot punk kid decided to do donuts in the gravel parking lot across from my shop. The big cloud of dirt drifted over my shop and found it's way inside & on my paint. I had the first coat of clear on the top half. I just stopped, waited a day, then wet sanded the crap out. There were places where I had to sand thru clear into color, & places that even had primer showing.

Today I started shooting color again & now the paint is crinkling along the line where I had to stop my clear the other day.
What are my options at this point?

Thanks,
Ray

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:54 pm
I would sand the whole car with 500. Then when you start to spray the base, spray a cpl light coats first before the usual med wet. Make sure you allow it to flash really good too. You want all them solvents out.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:07 pm
Do I have to repaint the entire car? I know crinkle will be all the way to primer. But where I didn't sand thru clear should just need another coat of clear.

Ray

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:25 pm
You could blend it. Blend up into the clear about six inches and you should be alright. If it were I, I would reshoot the whole car with base then clear.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:14 pm
Wherever you broke though to base, you need to re-prime or seal. You cannot just shoot more base over it, and just shooting a light coat to try to keep the solvents from doing what they are supposed to do will give you poor adhesion. The reason for the "crinkle" is the solvents from the base attacking and lifting the edge of the broken clear - this is why you need to prime or seal those areas, first.

Reprime the areas where you are through the clear, then sand the primer and re-base. You are correct that where there is still clear you can simply re-clear but depending on the extent of the damage it may make sense to re-base then clear - especially if a tough metallic that will not blend easily. Hard to advise you on this point, without standing in front of the car.

If dust is getting into your shop that easily, something is wrong. Did you have the door open?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:33 pm
Sounds like the paint is "ringing up". Like chris said reprime where you broke through and rebase.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:26 pm
The primer I used over my sealer was lacquer base. Is that going to cause the clear wrinkle? I don't have any of the sealer left.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:44 pm
Right, keep lacquer off the car it will cause problems.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:03 pm
X2^^^

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:15 pm
Well, finally got all repairs done. After spraying clear on roof, trunk & hood I'm getting a rough dry line on fenders & quarters where the clear won't lay down and blend as I move to spray sides. I tried reducing the clear 10% to spray second coat. Didn't help. Second coat wouldn't blend & lay smooth. I mentioned the problem to my supplier they gave me a slower hi-temp activator. I don't think this will solve the problem. While outside temp has been 80 - 90 degrees, I'm spraying at 70 degrees with 50% humidity. The car hasn't been outside in sun so surface temp should be within 5 degrees.

I had a problem with the basecoat blushing. My supplier looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about & kept shoving Hi-Temp reducer at me. I had to demand they sell me Mid-Temp reducer which did solve my base coat problem.

What should I do at this point? Let clear dry, then wet sand & spray another coat of clear?
Then wet sand & buff?

Thanks,
Ray
Next

Return to Body and Paint