New Paint Job

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:03 am
My son just bought a 90 model Honda Prelude. The body is in really good condition to be 24 years old. I was wondering before I took it to get an estimate for it to be painted since it still has clear coat on 90 percent of the body will they just wet sand a majority of it or sand it to the primer before they fix any dents, prime and paint. I've never had a car painted that why i'm asking this question. Thanks

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:41 pm
This is difficult to guess, because it depends on a number of variables we don't have information on.
What is your budget? What kind of paint job are you expecting? How bad are the dents/dings?
Not enought to go on here to really give you the answer you are looking for.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:41 pm
Every place you go to will do the work slightly different. Here at Maaco of Woodinville we would address the dents that the customer chooses to be fixed first. Our body tech (20+years experience) will take the area down to metal, pull the dent, skim the area, block sand it, then prime it. After he is finished the vehicle goes into sanding. The car will be sand smooth getting rid of all clear coat. If the dents are just tiny little chips in the paint then they would either be feathered out in sanding or the would be "filled in" then sanded smooth. After sanding, if there is any are metal showing it will be spot primed the masked and ready for paint. In paint the vehicle will get a sealer to lock everything down and help adhesion with the paint. After the sealer the color goes down 2-3 coats usually then the clears coat 2-3 coats.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0211a27f6b

Return to Body and Paint