How does the bumper cover attach to this Lexus IS 250?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:06 am
Hello Autobody101,

I just purchased a 2011 IS250. Had a Fender Bender:

voila:

What kind of parts should I get other than the bumper cover?

thanks

kind regards

eins

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:07 am
Looks like quite a long list of parts are going to be needed to get that back to original. Best bet is to either try to find the parts list / exploded view of that car on the internet -- or bring the pics into your nearest Lexus dealer and ask them to help you build the shopping list. I doubt other than opinions anyone here is going to be able to rattle off the parts manifest for that...

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:35 pm
I found the part diagram:

http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalog/5202521548-Body-IS250-2011.html

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:12 pm
Good start!

Along with those parts, truck lid, seals, rear quarter panel, light assemblies. The car also needs to be put on a frame machine to make sure the geometry can be brought back into spec. That's not a fender bender, the car was hit very hard.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:42 pm
That car is hammered. The rear body panels pushed in. Its going to need a tail light pocket. Trunk hinges. Driver side rail end is probably bent around. It def has to be put on a frame machine. The other quarter is damaged. Almost positive the rear is quite a ways out ta square. Being a Lexus I'd estimate it at around $7500 to repair at a shop, depending on the price of parts. So if you don't have a frame machine and A-Tech experience you can't do this job. If you can't figure out how the bumper attaches, your way way out of your league on this one. I hope you didn't pay to much for the car because you gotta put a lot in it. And if you bought it with a salvaged title, its only worth half of market value.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:15 pm
Its not thaaat bad. The tail light pocket is made by the rear quarter panel, perhaps this can be straightened out. According to edmunds.com a salvage car is worth 2/3 of a clean car price. http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-is-a-salvage-title-vehicle.html

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:10 pm
Its not that bad? Lol I repair these big jobs everyday. Its bad enough the insurance company totaled the car if it has a salvaged title. It takes a real sucker to pay 2/3 of the value of that car and that's if its repaired to pre accident condition by a licensed repair facility. The car is hit very hard and can't be fixed in your garage or back yard.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:57 am
Thanks for the comments, going to the body shop soon.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:07 am
:clap:

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:24 am
This is not meant to be insulting but I could never figure out why someone would buy a write off and pay a shop to fix it.By the time you are done most times you could buy the same model car with no damge than what it will cost to repair what you have.For someone in the business repairing collision damage that is another ballgame,I have bought and fixed many over the years for myself and family to save a buck.

My advice to you is to look for a used rear clip that will have all of the parts needed for the repair.You will save thousands doing it this way.By no means do you have to change the back end like we did in the old days,that is frowned upon now.But just by taking a quick look at the pics you need a trunk lid,2 tail lights,trunk lights,rear bumper cover,absorber,rebar,tail panel,quarter panel(sure you can repair it but changing it is easier) and a whole bunch of other things no doubt.Let alone some rack time to pull it back into spec,possibly trunk floor and rail damage as well.

IMO pre accident condition is a BS phrase that the ins industry came up with.Even if the car is repaired properly,using approved techniques it is not the same as before.Any good tech who knows where to look there will always be signs of a repair no matter how good the shop or tech is that did the repair.
Next

Return to Body and Paint