Getting ready to paint for first time. Need advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:26 pm
Hey guys!

I am getting ready to paint my 66 chevelle next week. I'm almost finished with the body work. I am using (**********) ********** Epoxy primer on the body. I am going to use a PPG basecoat and the color is going to be Marina blue which is a metallic color. I will paint this at home in my garage. Can someone please answer me a few questions for me?

1)Right now in NJ the temp is ranging around 70-75 degrees in the day. Is it warm enough to paint in the day time before the temp drops in the high 50's-low 60's at night?
2) How many coats of marina blue base coat should I apply?
3) Should I sand between coats? If so dry or wet and grit?
4)Can I paint the fenders, doors, etc off the car?
5) Do I need to sand the base coat before applying the clear? If so wet or dry and grit?
6) I am going to use southern ********** Universal clear coat #4000 with a slow activator. How long should I wait after I spray the base coat to apply the clear coat?
7) How many coats of clear are recommended and should I sand between?

Thank you very much in advance!!!!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:12 pm
1) Yes
2) Enough to gain consistent and total coverage - two should do it but check your work carefully after two coats
3) Not unless you have a defect. At the point of base I would only dry sand not wet. Tack/blow off any dust carefully.
4) Yes but with metallic unless you are very careful you can end up with a difference that may be noticeable
5) No, never do that
6) Whatever the tech sheet for the base coat tells you. Doesn't hurt to wait longer to allow the base to out-gas really well
7) Whatever the tech sheet for the clear tells you. Generally two coats of clear should do it. Newbie painter anticipating final sanding and buffing - you might want to use 3 coats or even 4. After 3 you could wet sand it with 600 grit to flatten it out, then hit it with that final coat. No hard/fast rule on that, however.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:42 pm
Thank you for your time Chris. It is much appreciated!!!!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:21 am
I would not use slow activator at 70-75. I would be careful of solvent pop if you spray 3 coats of clear. If your going to do 3 coats make sure you let it flash off good the first 2 coats. But 2 coats is plenty.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:54 am
Thank you Heavy! How long should I wait between each base coat? How long between each clear coat?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:45 pm
You need the tech sheets for your products. Whatever the flash time is between coats, double it to be safe. As stated, get the correct speed activator and reducer for the temps you are working in.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:51 am
I have both a siphon and gravity HVLP gun. Which is preferred for base color and clear? Thanks for the info!

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:23 pm
You will need a 1.4 for ********** universal clear,it is a fairly fast setting clear and slow hardener is what you want in a garage setting with low airflow.Most of the info you require will be available on every brands website in their tds section.In my booth with lots of airflow at 70f I had to use extra slow hardener with a touch of retarder for optimum appearance and sprayability.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:27 pm
Ok great. I will get a 1.4 tip for the clear. Should I use the 1.4 for the base also? Should I use siphon or gravity feed guns?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:35 pm
i use gravity feed with 1.4 tips for both base and clear. don't forget you have 7 days to spray over the ********** epoxy before you have to sand again
Next

Return to Body and Paint