Primer and base coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:56 pm
I have a question..... I have been using Tamco 5311 black high build primer.....I just bought my paint this morning and a question arose about my primer color. My base coat colors going on my 1994 F150 are Oxford White and Med Calypso Green (says Tabago green on my window sticker but whatever) Anyway, the guy suggested that I use at least a gray primer if not a white primer under the white base coat. So......what shall I do? I have a gallon of Tamco 5310 gray high build also, Can or should I continue with black and then do a final thinned out sealer coat with the gray over the entire truck?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:20 pm
Certainly for the white you should use a white or very light grey primer. Otherwise you'll need a lot more topcoat to get coverage or be able to see they grey through the white.

You could do as you suggest but I don't see the point in doing something twice (remember you'd need to block the whole thing twice too) when, using the right shade primer, you could just do it once.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:40 pm
Sounds like I kinda screwed this up. I guess as long as it's all the same color before shooting base, at least it won't be splotchy out something, just off color a bit. Yeah sounds like I made more work for myself. I assume there is no issue spraying the grey on to of the black......ugh why do I do things like this. :knockout:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:41 pm
Wow! So I just got done spraying a couple coats of the Tamco grey....LOVE it! I'm not sure what's different but that's done good stuff! It's not nearly as thick as the black, the black was seriously like molasses when stirring, actually thought I might break my stirring stick it was so thick.lol had to thin it down for sure, sprayed fine, this grey....I might be able to spray without thinning, not sure, it seems about perfect for a 1.8 on your gun.... really light grey also do I think that's going to work out pretty good. The black sanded awesome so can only imagine how the grey is going to do....but first......gotta get cleaned up for my daughter's birthday party!

Return to Body and Paint