Primer Pattern Question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:59 am
Hello,

I am painting a 1995 Chevy truck. I spent around 60 hours preparing the body for primer by filling, feathering and sanding at 220 grit, then 320 grit, then 400 grit. I then shot one coat of primer, sanded with 600 grit, shot a second coat of primer, sanded with 600 grit and guide coat, and tonight I shot primer only over spots that I rubbed through to the original surface while working off the guide coat. The spots I touched up with primer have now been sanded with 600 grit and everything is very smooth. My problem is that this last shot of primer, which was only used to touch up the location I rubbed through, does not match the shade of the rest of the primer. The picture below will better explain the issue.

Everything is smooth. Is this acceptable to paint my base coat over? Thanks for any advice you may have! I would just re-shoot the primer, but I am very tired and running out of vacation time. Thanks again!

Jake
Last edited by deleted-23 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:23 am
Your image link looks like it was truncated. But, you should be fine as long as you have good coverage with your base.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:45 pm
chris wrote:Your image link looks like it was truncated. But, you should be fine as long as you have good coverage with your base.

Okay. Thanks for the information. I updated the image. Let me know if your opinion changes. Thanks!

Jake

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:18 pm
Is the yellow area the spot you are concerned with?
I would say it depends on the color of the base and the number of coats you plan to apply.
Personally, I like to have a consistent color to spray my base coat over. This is why I shoot epoxy primer reduced 1:1:1 as a sealer prior to spraying base.
Generally I spray three coats of base to achieve full coverage or true color. Lighter colors may require more than that. Some reds can be affected by shade changes in the undercoats as well.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:53 pm
I can see a patch in the middle with slight darkening around the edges. If this is your concern then I don't think it will be a problem. Even very translucent colours like yellow or some reds will cover slight variations like this.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:30 pm
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will be shooting the base Wednesday. I am new to this but will contribute the little knowledge I have throughout the forum whenever possible. Thanks for helping out a new guy.

Jake

Return to Body and Paint