Bent hood on Chevy Prizm!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:44 pm
Greetings,

Would somebody who knows a little about body work take a look at this car for me?
http://imagescdn.dealercarsearch.com/Me ... 781230.jpg
http://imagescdn.dealercarsearch.com/Me ... 482163.jpg
http://imagescdn.dealercarsearch.com/Me ... 544663.jpg
http://imagescdn.dealercarsearch.com/Me ... 513413.jpg

There are four pictures there. Does it look like it would be possible to bang out the hood, not to make it look fabulous, but just half way presentable and protected for the coming winter?? (It will be parked outside.) Or does it look like the frame is FUBAR?

I'm a retired church organist on Social Security, and I've been looking for something with great gas mileage that can take me from A to B. I'm aware of the oil burning problem on this engine, but my understanding is, if it hasn't hit by 150,000 miles, it's probably not an issue.

Thanks in advance for your kind attention. I need to make a decision by Monday Sept. 22!

Rick

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:01 pm
Just make sure the hood actually latches and they don't have it tied down. A hood that won't latch is a huge safety issue, and in states that have a safety inspection, would not pass.

If the hood operates properly, then there is a chance that someone might be able to hammer the sides down. Can't tell without looking at it, though. If you know anyone who can help evaluate the car, bring them with you to look at it. Also needs to be inspected carefully for other damage as the car was obviously in an accident.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:23 pm
chris wrote:Just make sure the hood actually latches and they don't have it tied down. A hood that won't latch is a huge safety issue, and in states that have a safety inspection, would not pass.

You know I asked the lady on the phone, and she said "Oh yes, it latches." But it wasn't "her car" and I didn't get to talk to the owner. I'll definitely nail that down before I go there. I also just found out the title hasn't changed hands to the car lot. Last title was issued in 2011, but the car's been for sale over a week on their site! I don't know if that's kosher.

So how much do you think a beater like that is worth? They want $899. It's a 2001 with 154k miles on it.

Thanks Again,
Rick

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:04 pm
I'm not in your shoes but I'd probably keep looking.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:31 pm
Thank you very much for the input!

I think I figured out how the accident happened. From the first pic below, I bet the bumper of a car hit the prizm on the passenger side just in front of the wheel well. It looks like the hood is latched in the front, but the hinges on the back side came apart. That's why there's a gap toward back of hood on both sides. Also explains how the radiator got by unscathed.

635455551471482163.jpg

635455551476781230.jpg

Anybody else? I like a variety of opinions.

Rick

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:12 pm
It needs a hood and hinges

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 pm
Yes, I think I dodged a bullet on this one. I finally talked to the guy that actually talked to the previous owner. He said "Yeah, he did mention it burns about a quart of oil a month." So that adds about $400 and the hood adds maybe $200, bringing the real price to $1500 -- just about what you'd expect for that model at a dealer.

I give them a lot of credit for being forthcoming. Naturally, if I hadn't known to ask, I coulda got bit. I don't know much about cars, but at least I know how to use the internet. :allgood:

Last car I had sucked oil like a vacuum cleaner -- but that was at 340xxx miles! I drove that thing right into the ground! :flatten: 367,000m and change. I don't want that problem again.

Thanks, man.
R.

Return to Body and Paint