Tamco DTM Primer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:45 pm
I too sprayed some Tamco 5310 DTM light grey primer today on a fiberglass fender flare I repaired and have to say it is really good stuff. I also used a cheapie gun to shoot it and it laid down smooth and really nice. I bought it through Chris here on the site and it's the best high build primer I've ever used. Great product.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:09 pm
I'm a DIYer and have always used epoxy primer. However, I know that production shops and OEM finishes do not, I think mainly because of speed. Still, I figured that epoxy gives me maximum adhesion and protection.

My one complaint with epoxy though is generally having to let it cure overnight before sanding (I usually have a bug or two and I like the idea of mechanical and chemical adhesion with the topcoat). This can really slow things down, especially if just panel painting.

Using a DTM 2K primer that is sandable in just one hour like Tamco's allows me to able to apply primer, base and clear all in one day, which I like. I'll have to try it.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:55 pm
So I have my second coat of primer on the bumper I am working with.

I reduced it a bit to use it as a sealer and it laid down very smooth, almost like it was wet sanded already.

Should I wet sand with 600 grit just to be extra safe and sure everything is smooth, or can I shoot the top coat right over it now?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:33 pm
Make sure you read all of this reply ;-)

I checked with Tammy on this; when used as a sealer there is no need to sand it. I'd say that if you have any imperfections or spots that went on a little dry for example, then yes you would want to sand those spots -- but generally 'no'. If used as primer with no reducer then it does have to be sanded before base.

You can go to color as soon as the (sealer version) flashes off really good, the minimum is approx 15 minutes but personally I'd give it a little longer.

Now the bad news. You only have about an hour after shooting the primer as a sealer, after it has flashed off, before you should get base on there. If you are outside that window you really should scuff it with a fine-grit scotch pad or sand it with 600, for good adhesion.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:48 pm
I ended up scuffing it anyways, didn't take long and it smoothed everything out even better

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:44 am
I may have to try some of this primer. I love epoxy, but during the colder months(my garage is always at 60 degrees) I dont like epoxy due to its sensitivity to temperature.

My only problem is I really like poly primers like slicksand for my first round of heavy blocking if im doing a higher end paintjob.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:02 pm
I have been using Tamco DTM 2K primer for about 6 months now,I'm very impressed with this product.Saves me time and money,it will bury 180 grit sanding scratches with two coats,air dries super fast and a great price.Only complaint I have is it tends to gum up your paper on the first pass with 400 grit,much like the old PPG DP40 epoxy primer did.I can live with that considering all the pros it has.It has become my favorite go to primer and I wont be switching until they come out with something better.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:37 pm
duke, see this is your first post so welcome to the Forum. Just a thought, I see on the spec sheet is says sand able in 1hr. and under the right circumstances I believe that is true. But I do think that is pushing it. I shot some of the 5310 a few days ago and didn't get to the sanding till the next day. Primer dusted up and with a flick of the finger fell right out of the sandpaper. Just my experience but for sure if it isn't completely dry you will have some gum up in your sandpaper. just a thought / Coy

PS, this is a really great primer at twice the price.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:35 pm
CaBoy,it was over a hr left drying,maybe 3 or 4,80 deg. inside the shop,I have learned a light scratch with a grey scotch pad will remove that film build up or whatever you call it and you can sand it with whatever final grit you want.Either way I'm sticking with this product.The more I use it the more I love it.Just the coverage alone should make you want to try it.The best part of it that I have seen is it really does not shrink.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:44 pm
duke4190 wrote:The best part of it that I have seen is it really does not shrink.

SOLD! :goodjob:
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint