Tamco as Sealer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:40 am
If I am using Tamco high build, reduced 4:1:1 for a sealer... do I need to sand that (the sealer) before shooting my base coat?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:02 am
Not needed unless you have to sand out texture or any imperfections, dirt, etc.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:25 pm
Does Tamco primer when reduced as a sealer have zero dieback like a dedicated urethane sealer? Just because a primer that can be used as a sealer does not mean it will perform like a product formulated for a specific purpose. Many DTM's state they have multi purpose use, but they fail to state the drawbacks. Like the dieback encountered when using epoxy reduced as a sealer.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:55 am
Scott, he asked about sanding...but to your point no 2K product that adds reducer to the mix is going to be totally immune to die-back.

Need to let it flash off real good, let all those solvents out-gas well -- then proceed. Guys DIYing at home typically will not stock a dedicated sealer and will reduce 2K primer or epoxy...I've done it many times and never had die back, probably because I'm so slow I'd go broke if I had to work in a shop.

Also if the car is in primer already then obviously no need to add sealer on top of that, just go to base.

Thanks for pointing this out, it's a good thing to be aware of.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:42 pm
chris wrote:...I've done it many times and never had die back, probably because I'm so slow I'd go broke if I had to work in a shop.

Haha, same here... :lol:

I have used the Tamco gray 2K and the black DTM, both as a sealer. No problems, even when reducing up to 20% (not recommended). I had some mixed spots of filler, sanded 2K and some sanded factory paint that I was going over. I usually reduce it to the viscosity of milk.

Return to Body and Paint