BUGS!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:57 am
I know I'm not alone, and unless you are painting in a professional spray booth it's almost a given that you will get a bug or ten in your clear. Yesterday I painted the bed of my pickup and I believe in the first coat of clear a bug got stuck in the clear, did a little dance and vanished.....and of course this was on the white paint. So now after finishing spraying clear I have a spot about the size of a quarter, looks kinda like a brown smudge.....what can I do to fix this spot? I think it's too deep to buff out without getting into the color. I have a few other tiny bugs that got in the clear (it was getting late, bright lights, dark outside, should have known better even though I do have a homemade booth) but I think I can sand/buff those out.......but the one I was talking about I'm not sure what my options are. Other than that, got my first time ever, it's looking darn good in my opinion! Bringing this ol girl back to life is an amazing feeling. Heck of a lot of work, but worth it! :goodjob:

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:49 am
If it can't be sanded out then best to treat it like a repair...let the clear dry good then blow in some base and re-clear...if you sand through the clear you'll need to prime or seal the broken edge of the clear first, then re-base and re-clear...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:48 pm
Wait a sec...so it is recoverable? Do I just sand that little spot, try not to break thru the clear, spray base on the unbroken to base clear, and then reclear? Really? This won't be noticeable? (Like a bug smudge isn't lol) or do I need to sand a much larger area? Is there a write-up somewhere on how to do this? Remember, I'm a amateur lol.... This was my first ever attempt at any kind of bodywork and I ended up doing the whole truck. Actually amazed myself with what I've done, it looks awesome! Not 100% perfect, but it's a 20 year old truck that gets used as a truck....but if this is an easy fix, Heck, I'm willing to try. Have done everything else and it's turned out. And you and others on here have been awesome! What an awesome site you have here and everyone is more than willing to help! Also the Tekna Copper I bought from you worked awesome. I ONLY had 1 run in my base, on the roof, because I got hung on my two way fm radio antenna.....sand that out and it turned out fine, zero problems with the clear except the darn bug.....I'm pretty darn happy how it turned out! I do have a whole new respect for those that do this for a living....it's a lot of work...but my first paint job ever is in the books!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:29 pm
Right...the first thing to do is just to see it the blemish will sand out. If not, then sand a larger repair area around the damage with 800 or 1000 grit wet, then shoot your base within that sanded area. For example a spot the size of a quarter you may sand out a 2' by 2' section around that and shoot new base within that margin. Once it flashes long enough you can re-clear a couple of coats over the whole repair.

Usually this will mean the entire panel gets sanded an re-cleared but I know you are on a truck bed and won't want to re-clear the entire side. With fresh clear not exposed to sunlight or heat, you can get away with "burning in" the new clear within the bed. You'll have to wet sand and buff but you should be able to eliminate the blemish.

Remember when don't the prep for this if you sand though the clear on there now, you will need to prime or seal the broken edge of the clear otherwise the newly applied base will cause the edge of the clear to lift.

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:26 pm
I feel your pain. The low pressure generated behind the air cap just sucks them in like a vacuum cleaner.

This is why I bit the bullet and am in the process of installing a professional booth in my home shop (crazy , I know, but it's a serious hobby with me).
Attachments
IMG_3352.JPG
IMG_3328.JPG

Return to Body and Paint