What Nason Primer for small bare metal and filler covering

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:48 pm
Hi Folks,
I'm new to these forums (great resource) and was wondering the forums opinions on which Nason Primer is best for small bare metal and filler covering. My Jobber supplied me with Nason 421-17 Select Prime 2K (Buff) when I asked for a good primer to work with for single stage spraying of an old Volvo I'm working on. I wanted today's equivalent to old school Centari Acylic Enamel. I noticed in doesn't say "DTM" and I bought it in the spring so returning isn't an option. I just want to be sure I can use what I buy this time. I'll use it after I lay a foundation using the correct Primer. Also, if it's an etching Primer will this be okay to use over filler? Possibly old and new?
Using SATA HVLP with 3M PPS System
Cheap Chinese HVLP Gun with 1.7 Tip for primer's
Regards.
Wayne Lee
Douglas, MA

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:34 pm
Correct, you want a DTM primer for bare metal. Do not use etch primer over filler.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:10 pm
Thanks, I assume that means to use a self etching Primer, then use filler then the 2K urethane Primer. Is there anything in the Nason Primer line that can be used over bare metal and filler? What about metal conditioner over the metal, then use filler and cover all with the 2K Primer I have mentioned? That means all old filler has to be removed that is abutting any bare metal? Does anyone know the exact Nason product needed for this?
Regards

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:22 pm
Nope, never put filler over etch primer, either. Don't use metal conditioner, it will cause issues later. If you are staying with Nason I believe you will want to use their epoxy primer. It can go over filler if needed so no need to remove the filler you have there now. You will also need a 2k build primer to go over the epoxy, if you want to be able to block sand your panels nice and flat.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:02 pm
Apply your filler to sanded bare metal and prime over it with your 2K primer after final sanding the filler. Small patches of bare metal are not a big deal. Bare metal patches larger than a few inches should be primed with epoxy or a DTM primer, or even etch.

If you want, there is a Nason epoxy called "Ful-Poxy". Here is the product sheet: http://www2.dupont.com/Coating_Solution ... 1-16_E.pdf

These days I use a DTM primer, such as the Tamco DTM sold on this site. If I have some minor filling to do, I use the filler over the top of the primer after sanding with P180 or P80. Major filling I do over bare metal.

Return to Body and Paint