Proper Filler Technique

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:39 pm
Hey guys, I always have a hard time working with filler. It seems I can't spread it smooth no matter how much I try, I always end up with pits and particles dragging on the surface causing depressions.

When I watch videos online the person always seems to be able to smooth out the filler almost glass smooth before any sanding. My filler attempts look like the surface of the moon than a sheet of glass.

I have tried adding the least amount of activator I can to give me more time to work with the material and it doesn't seem to help.

I am using Evercoat Rage Extreme, with 3M plastic spreaders. I have tried using wide and narrow spreaders to no avail.

Can anyone share some tips or points on pressure to use or proper method?

Thanks.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:13 pm
My biggest problem when starting out was knowing when to stop. I would work and work trying to get it looking nice and end up working it until it started to set up. At that point the stuff tends to roll up in little clumps and cause pits. Maybe this is what's happening to you?

Realize you're going to sand a large portion of the filler off and just give it a few passes with the spreader and call it good. Then as it sets up get your grater out and knock it down to get it close. It just takes practice to get good at it. Apply more and less pressure with your spreader and see what works best, and try working it less and stopping sooner. Also, that filler you're using is good stuff, likely not contributing to your trouble.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:19 pm
If you are using a new spreader and mixing your filler with the proper 2 - 3% hardener per volume - it should spread nicely for at least 3 - 5 minutes @ 70 - 75F. After that amount of time, it will start to setup and drag particles, etc.

Used spreaders will develop little burrs along the edge that will cause the lines you are talking about also.
Metal spreaders are nice to use, but not absolutely necessary. You might give them a shot.
I have set of these, but usually use disposable plastic spreaders: http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Metal-Sprea ... r+speaders

I normally take 2 - 4 swipes across.... Nothing wrong with smoothing it out, as long as it isn't kicking off. Push down while spreading to squeegee out any air bubbles.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:26 pm
Since I am a cheapskate

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-bo ... 95837.html

Think that would do as well?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:28 pm
Yes, I have a set of those around somewhere. Just be careful not to get too much lacquer thinner on the handles - it can melt them.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:30 am
im a plasterer (or drywall for you guys out of Australia) so putting filler on nice and smooth is 2nd nature, heres a few tips if I can explain it in writing properly
work from 1 side to the other, putting a little more pressure on the side your working to, ie, the side that has no filler, after a few times you will find the right amount of pressure that will only leave small ridges at the edge of your applicator,
also, don't try to get the filler on too thin or too thick, I usually try for around 1mm thick where the damage is and then feather out around the edge, allowing a good area around the actual damage to allow a good transition from the damage to non damage
try to assess how to apply the filler, for example, a door I would apply it from top to bottom, not front to rear, i cant actually explain why this seems to work better for me, it just does
don't tryto get it on too nice as no matter how smooth you get it on, you still have to sand it!!
i have also noticed that if the filler is warm, it spreads better, BUT, will set up faster too, so could be a nice idea to have a bucket of warm water and sit the filler in it for a while, or maybe in the sun before you need to use it, cold filler is a pain to work with!!!
i use both metal, soft plastic and hard plastic spreaders, depending on the shape of the panel, you can buy really cheap plastic plaster spreaders in different sizes, they are only a few $$ each and can be bought at the local hardware store, just try not to use much thinners on them, i try to scrape off most of the excess filler while its setting up and then sand the rest off with some 320 or 400 when its fully set!!
i can successfully spread filler on a whole panel if it needs it using techniques as above with very little hassle!!
hope some of it helps
krem

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:23 pm
A little tip for keeping a good edge on plastic spreaders. Light nicks and burrs just slide edge long ways across some coragated cardboard to polish the edge. If you have bigger notches. Just sand out the nicks and polish out the burrs left on a peace of cardboard. The brand of filler your useing is some of, if not the best I have ever used. The rest is practice. Some good tips above to try. 8)

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:25 pm
Do you guys ever use spot putty or glazing putty on your finger?

I had some small spots I had to hit today and putting the putty on my finger and smearing it on worked so much better than a spreader. Especially around curves.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:51 am
first problem may be the filler you`re using. I went through about a 1/4 can of that stuff and then chucked it. theres a thinner called supercharger that makes the filler easier to spread that may be worth looking into. I use it and its great.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:31 am
Wow, everyone said it was one of the best, even bought it based on reviews everywhere was not expecting to hear that type of review on it.

Return to Body and Paint