lighting??

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:09 am
hey guys, im saving up for some more lights for my shed to help with well, lighting i guess..
i currently have 4 double fluro lights and my shed size is 7mx9m,
the lights are on the main frame of the shed, there are 2 either side of the trusses and are at 3m and 6m, it does light up nicely of a night time but not so much of a daytime, i also have 2 panels of laserlight in the roof to allow some extra light in.
my problems are when im spraying, of a daytime the light isn't real good and when painting its hard to see the wet edge and how the paint is going on the panels, i was planning to buy another 4 double fluro lights to double the amount of light i have, but was wanting some advice if there was something better that didn't suck too much power!!
krem

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:14 am
Without going to ($$) LED lighting, it's going to be tough to beat fluorescent in terms of lumen per watt. Maybe a set of LED lights on a tripod, that you can move around while you paint? Halogen would also work but they get really hot.

How is your airflow/ventilation?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:05 am
In terms of lumens/watt, LED kicks fluorescent's backside, giving about 2/3 the lumens for 1/2 the power. But, that means you need more tubes to get the same overall lighting level and the problem is that the LED "tubes" are still expensive. I did look at converting the fluoros to LED and there is definitely justification in terms of payback from power savings with costs covered in less than 6 months. At this stage, though, LED technology is still advancing rapidly and prices are coming down so I figure that waiting a bit longer will be worth it.

My booth is 8.4m x 3.6m and I currently have 11 x double fluorescents, plus 4 singles, all 36 watt tubes. It is not enough light and I'll be putting in another 2 x doubles in the ceiling, plus a row of another 4 doubles down each side. I've tried with portable lights and having light on the sides of the car does definitely make a big difference, which is why they are often used in off the shelf booths.
Chris

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:17 am
ok, at the moment I don't have any ventilation, I am looking at buying a few small extractor fans for extraction and another for ventilation,, having 2 on 1 side of the shed and 1 on the other, all being filtered, at the moment I just wait for the overspray to settle before recoating, lol, I know its not real ideal but have no other option as even the cheap 1" (300mm) fans aren't cheap, I was simply looking at these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-Heavy-Dut ... 19e49817a0
I get very little dust in my paint, and always have my floor wet which helps keep the dust down and the overspray settle on the water and is basically dry when the water evapourates so will just sweep out easily,
power to the shed is very limited at the moment and so is money, so I will try to get as many dbl fluros as I can afford, thanks so much for your advice, its really appreciated
oh, my heating source is a lpg blower heart like this but a different brand http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/stanley-lpg- ... 4186656712
krem

Return to Body and Paint