1956 chev truck door damage thought?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:51 am
hi there everyone i am new here found this site on one of the truck ones i frequent. i am not expert at bodywork( know most of the basics) just looking for some good advice/tips. i am in the process of fixing the body dents/rust on my 56 chev 3100 truck. the drivers door front edge where it meets back of front fender is probably the worst spot on the truck for me to attempt. i have access to a uni spotter stud welder to pull dents . seems like might have to cut and form piece? whats are some thoughts on a way ahea[img][/img]d to fix this:
Attachments
017.jpg
DSCN0400.JPG

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:50 pm
Welcome... can the skin come off that door easily? That would be ideal.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:09 pm
hi chris , will investigate that. was hoping uni spotter would do trick . getting skin off could get a lot more flattened out.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:44 am
you could get that out with a unispotter, the question is how picky you are and what kind of quality you are looking for. personally I like to stay away from panel beaters / stud welders whenever I have access to damage because they tend to thin the metal and they burn the panel and can be a source for rust to form. pulling the skin off the door may create more unwanted damage to undamaged areas then its worth to get at that area. I would start by seeing if you can get a spoon in behind that area and flatten out as much as you can that way then work the areas you cant get to with a uni spotter / panel beater.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:01 am
doesn't look really promising for inside door access without cutting door open. even then doesn't look like you can get to it. looking for good quality job in the end .the less amount of body fill the better. don't want to spend $500 on aftermarket door when I have a solid original. truck is getting taken down to bare metal and ready for a new paint job in the future. to me this is worst spot on truck. as far as the rust concerns If i uni spot I would put some rust converter in door or fluild fim to help prevent rust once finished? I have access to chemical stripper to take off rust could dip hole door? I did one drivers fender had suface rust on inside came out really good. door skin removal is a lot of work as it is around whole door. possibly do more damage trying to fix damage already there. :knockout:

Return to Body and Paint