Advice on painting motorbike

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:49 am
Looks good, wasn't sure if it was original as my dad repainted his frame a while back and I don't remember what the factory color is. When you say your tailpiece is rigid is that just the factory fit part?

I have never painted plastic parts before, so sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I get it right first time, good to hear from someone who has painted a Buell as I have read various guides on motorcycle paint work and it seems that there are quite a few varieties of plastics used on different bikes.

Thanks.

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:52 pm
Can anyone tell me what grade sand paper I should use last after removing the paint from the plastic fuel tank? just concerned about causing scratches/damage to the plastic tank.

Also before coating bare plastic (nylon) fuel tank in epoxy primer should I use a plastic primer or is the epoxy gong to stick better directly to the bare nylon? I intend to use Lechler epoxy (29107) as that's what I have and the TDS makes no mention of using on plastic, just metals and fibreglass, or is this unsuitable to use?

Link to data sheet
https://www.paints4u.com/pdffiles/29107.pdf

Many thanks.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint