Started stripping car without washing it...

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:24 pm
My car is apart, and I never washed it before I started stripping it down to bare metal months ago. I also used chemical stripper on part of it. How can I wash it now that the door weather stripping has been removed? Its kinda not driveable right now either to pull it out of the garage because the alternator is out, but I can put it back in.

I plan to strip it down to bare metal mechanically, no more chemical strippers.

Also any recommendations on how I should paint the car.

Should I paint the car (85 Buick Regal) with the header panel on, quarter extensions and bumper fillers?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:05 pm
Wipe everything down with wax and grease remover, dirtiest areas last and use plenty of clean rags.

Best way to paint it is to remove everything you possibly can, if you're not looking to make it a showcar you can save alot of time by painting it mostly assembled. I would still remove door handles, mirrors, moldings etc that way you can sand all the edges properly and the paint will be less likely to peel later.

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy that paints cars in his garage. Not a professional.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:12 am
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Wipe everything down with wax and grease remover, dirtiest areas last and use plenty of clean rags.

Best way to paint it is to remove everything you possibly can, if you're not looking to make it a showcar you can save alot of time by painting it mostly assembled. I would still remove door handles, mirrors, moldings etc that way you can sand all the edges properly and the paint will be less likely to peel later.

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy that paints cars in his garage. Not a professional.

I'm also painting in my garage. I have the car almost all the way apart, only things I don't have off are the good and the trunk, I did plan to paint the car with the doors on but I since I'm doing patch work on the doors I might leave them off, be aide the bottom inside of the doors I need to paint and I feel like that will be very hard to do with the doors on.

Return to Body and Paint