After paint job care advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:07 am
Hi,
I have a new aluminum hood being put on and painted ford sterling grey metallic.. Will be done tomorrow, and they tell me I can't wax or seal it for 3 months.. How can I protect it from the New Jersey rain and elements until then? I don't have a garage or anywhere I can park under

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:01 pm
Just keep it washed off with clean water; it'll be fine. "touchless" car wash would be good.

They gave you the right advice on the wax.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:56 pm
Thanks Chris.
I'm not sure what a touch less wash is though. I normally go to a local self car wash where I first hose the car off to remove any debris that's loose, then wash it with a car sponge that sort of looks like a dog one shaped mop and Meguiars gold wash, then I hose it off with "high pressure rinse" setting on the hose, squeegee most water off with a water blade to speed things up, and then go over it with a super absorbent "waffle" towel that's also made by meguiars.
What should I change for the time being? (Aside from not polishing or waxing)
Thanks.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:03 am
Make sure the soap you wash it with doesn't contain a wax product.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:04 pm
What I do is use a polish product like Ultra Finish or Meguiars 205. It does have a slight polish material in it, but it does leave a bit of a protective coating on the surface. Its what I have been using on my cars and bikes for years. And its paint friendly and won't penetrate the way wax does.
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Return to Body and Paint