Rust converter vs Epoxy primer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Sweden
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:08 am
Hello!

Just registered, need a second opinion. I'm not a fan of rust converters but it seems that it's widely used in USA? I'm having a discussion about it on tdiclub, you can read more about the discussion here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=425935

Maybe I have missed something?

Best regards

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:04 pm
Welcome, and well.... most of us here don't use rust convertors either. If it was a steel statue standing out in the middle of my yard, sure, its' fast easy. On a car... too many other contributing environmental factors come into play. Most of the guys here, blast, sand, etc., to get rid of all visible traces, then epoxy. Most epoxies have very little permeability so they cut off the oxygen which feeds rust. Sure moisture can be a problem but it is oxygen that fuels the fire. Now, if you've got an inaccessible interior area rust convertor might be the only thing you can get in there with and combo up with good undercoating. Another problem with rust convertors is a lot of guys think they can combo up on using the convertor first, then epoxy. The active ingredients in the convertor can kill the hardener in the epoxy leaving you with an uncured layer of goo.... not good. I'm sure other guy will comment here for you..... Oh, and I can't remember the last time I saw rust breaking through a properly prepped, epoxied, and painted panel, well, at least on the stuff I've done... :lol:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Sweden
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:08 pm
Thank you! I feel quite confident to use the Epoxy Primer. Going to sand blast it first. How thick is the metal on a "regular" car?

I'm going to use a point blaster, anything special I should think about before blasting, any special sand?

In terms of corrosion resistance, is there any different between manufacturers of epoxy primers? The one I have is Leasonal 2k epoxy primer. Should the filler and primer be of the same brand?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:25 pm
Metals can be quite different thicknesses depending on age. Here in the states our older cars have softer 18 gauge or so metal. New metals... totally different with high strength steels more like in the 22 to 24 gauge range (probably even thinner).

As for blasting guys use a wide variety of medias over here. Crushed recycled glass, glass beads, corn cobs, walnut shells, different types of silicas, etc. For our wood restoration services we are currently looking into dry ice blasting which is already being used in several conservation areas. Talk to some local media blast shops and see what they are using.

Nope, most epoxy primers will perform similarly however some are easier to spray than others. If you do need to sand it for some smoothing some are easier to sand as well. I've never heard anything bad here on the forum about Leasonal products. If you are a novice to spraying I would recommend staying within brands for complete compatibility however most of us here have preferred brands for different coatings. I still like PPG Deltron base coats for color consistency but use ********** epoxies, clear base intercoat for artwork, and their Universal clear is still one of my favorite topcoats.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:18 pm
I forgot to thank you for your answer :).

Return to Body and Paint