Australian summer heat, 2K paint, recommendations?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:25 pm
Hi, I've got Rhinothane primer on my car, wanting to paint the Rhinothane T topcoat which is Red. It's 35 degrees C today but I need the car by Saturday and I want it to have time hardening. Also I'm unable to paint the car on Thursday when it is cooler. Hoping tomorrow is cooler but not sure if I can do it tomorrow as we've got a house inspection!

Is it ok to paint in hot weather like this? Humidity is less than 30%.

http://www.wagonpaints.com.au/datasheet ... ne%20T.pdf

Thanks!

EDIT: P.S. If it is ok to paint in this heat can I do it in the sun or does it need to be sprayed on in the shade? Thinking those panels could get very hot in the sun...

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:11 am
Hi,

Assume you must be up north, it's not quite that warm down south here as yet. The pdf had a 45min dry time at 25 degrees. A rough rule of thumb is that the reaction rate speeds up by a factor of 2 for every 10 degree increase in temp so that puts your dry time to roughly 20 minutes. It might be hard to keep a wet edge unless you can get a slower hardener. If it's not clear, you definitely need to be in the shade - the surface temp in the sun may be 60 to 70 degrees and you would likely get the solvent boiling off immediately leaving you with a very rough orange peel texture.

I got the sense that this product may be more an industrial urethane coating - more for outdoor structures - you may want to talk to your supplier. Even if it costs more, the amount you'd need may only be a few litres so you may want to use a product more for automotive use - just a thought.

Cheers.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 pm
Thanks for the reply.

I'm in South Australia.

On the website it indicates it's an automotive paint or at least suitable as one as it has a couple of uses. It's was sold in the automotive area of the paint supplier.

I'll try and spray it today if the weather drops below 30.

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:09 am
Hi,

You're right in the sense that it can be automotive but than can mean trailers, trucks and so on as well. In products more aimed at cars, you'll usually see a range of hardeners (catalysts) and thinners (reducers) that you can use to adjust the paint properties for the ambient temperatures and size of the job. The products will usually come with a temperature chart that suggests the right hardener and thinner combination for both the temperature and the size of the spray job (e.g. 1-2 panels or a whole car). If you've gone to the effort of preparing the car for spraying, it would be disappointing not to get the finish you were hoping for.

Best wishes for your spray job which ever path you choose. If the shop you bought the products from is an auto paint store, they should be able to give you good advice.

Cheers.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:57 am
They are a general paint supplies shop with an automotive section. There is a couple of fenders painted with their different types of paints (acrylic, enamel, 2k). It looked good in the shop. I was happy with the Primer and how that went, being my first time with 2K and 3rd car I've painted.

The temperature on the panels in the shade ranged from 27 to 31 degrees C today so I decided to go ahead and paint the entire car.

I was impressed by the lack of over spray vs using Acrylic lacquer. It went on really easy and well.

Because it was slow drying I got a fair bit of crud stuck in it so I've got to cut it down with 2000 grit and polish it. Also the finish off the gun on some panels, mainly the hood, isn't perfect.

Here are a couple of photos.

Thanks for the help!
Attachments
IMG_20141022_182844_109.jpg
IMG_20141022_182827_778.jpg

Return to Body and Paint