Is House of Kolors paint still desireable?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:56 am
Hello folks.
I am new to this forum, and I've joined because I do like to dabble in a little body work. I am an amateur, I will be the first to admit it, but I have taken a few years of autobody and paint classes. I have 3 cars that are in various stages, a 1952 GMC, a 1968 Corvette, and a 1968 Firebird. So I think because I'm such a do-it-yourselfer, I can learn from this forum in the future.

I have one dilemma however.
A few years back, I bought some House of Kolors Kandy Burple paint (a beautiful cobalt blue color). Because my Firebird project had encountered some tremendous delays, I have had time to think about it and although I still love the Kandy paint I bought for it, I don't see the Firebird being ready for a final paint job for the next couple of years, and I might want to change my mind on what color to paint it. (Turns out the front subframe is bent due to an old crash and cannot be made right and will have to be replaced...I didn't count on that).

Therefore, I have decided to sell my paint and everything needed (except the primer), to paint a typical car or truck. I put it up for sale on Ebay, starting out at about 2/3rds what I paid for the paint, and I thought it would just spark a bidding war...but that simply isn't happening. I don't know if the problem is because economic times make people hang on to their money tighter, or that I'm being unrealistic in what I'm asking for the stuff.

I'm not trying to advertise here, but I'd really like some feedback on what the problem might be, moving my stuff on Ebay. I've read the rules and I don't think I'm violating them, but being new here, please do let me know if this is.
But would folks here please take a look at my Ebay ad and let me know how I could modify it to give myself a better chance at selling this stuff?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121464005343

I appreciate any advice I could get. Thanks.
Tony
Clovis, New Mexico

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:12 pm
Took a look at your post and must say the price asking is a bit high for the market I understand what it might have been years ago but theres so much technology out there with paint that the stuff you have is pre historic. People love HOK paint but theres way to many options out there to just simply depend on paint that's been sitting around for years. Im sure you will find someone but you should just drop that price down a bit more to move it. If not enjoy it and resell the car.
Kustom Car Kulture

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:47 am
You may have better success by adding "or best offer" to your ad.
I agree with the previous poster on the price being too high.
When selling unused paint that has been sitting people will be hesitant. Plus they have no guarantees of quality and performance when buying from an individual.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:51 am
I did mention that any reasonable offer would be considered.
I have 4 people watching but no bids yet.

Hard to believe that brand new paint, never opened, never stored anywhere but in the house, couldn't fetch even half the original purchase price. But you might be right.
Especially considering HOK has changed their formulations since then.

Well, what would be considered a reasonable offer?

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:03 pm
I agree I think your price is too high.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:30 pm
The problem here is that there is a huge disconnect between your target audience and their willingness to take risk. Someone who has been working on a car and dreaming of painting it that color with HOK products would gladly pay for brand new material rather than take a chance on an eBay sale.

Donate it to your local vo-tech, they can use it as teaching supplies; take the donation off on your taxes if you itemize, you'll be ahead of the game.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:45 pm
Naw, I'll keep it if it doesn't sell.
I'm not going to sacrifice over a grand worth of paint for $100 bucks. I'd just as soon hang onto it and use it on something, if it's going to come down to that.

I had something similar happen a few years ago when I tried to sell a complete GM tuned port injection setup off a C4 Corvette, including harness and computer, and someone wanted it for under $200. There is just no way. I thought my $600 price on that was reasonable, considering the harness alone would cost someone that much.
But I just couldn't convince anybody that it was worth that.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:49 pm
Also...if someone is going to buy it new, with everything I am including (reducers, catalysts, base coat, color coat, and clear coat), they're probably going to easily spend over a grand. I just don't see what the risk is, if it's been stored indoors the whole time, always at room temperature, and still has the factory seal on the cans.

If no one wants HOK paint at half price...their loss.
But I'm just not willing to sell it for a song...

Thanks guys.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:17 pm
The problem is that there are less known companies selling the same product for half what you're asking. I agree with Chris, if you're not gonna use it soon donate it to someone who will. I don't know how long the shelf life is but I'm sure it's close. Just for reference, check tcp global for the cost of new HOK. The coating store sells hok "knock off" for about 250 a gal kit that includes everything. People are very frugal the last few years.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:19 pm
A wise old gentleman once told me this: "It's only worth what someone will pay for it."
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Next

Return to Body and Paint