Painting - where to start, what to paint?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:10 pm
Ready to paint my midget but have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with. Since the window to paint basecoat and clear is only about 24 hours, do you first paint the base on underside of hood and trunk as well as the door jams, then clear them?? Does everyone clear the undersides and engine bay area? How long do you wait until you spry the top sides as we ll as the rest of the Car? I am a rookie but having fun. Would like to do it right since I already have so much time involved!

Thanks
Jeff

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:48 am
Sure, you can do those areas first and clear them, it's done that way all the time. Any base paint needs to be cleared, it will not last if you don't clear over it.

You can use a normal gloss clear under the hood and inside the trunk, or a matte clear if you want it to look more like factory original, or even a matte single stage.

As soon as the clear can be taped over, meaning it has cured enough not to leave a fingerprint, you can use a foam tape in the jambs so you don't have a hard paint line and can finish the rest of the car.

Return to Body and Paint