Cutting rust/making repair panel

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:21 pm
Afternoon all,

First time posting here. I cruised around looking for some advice via the search option and decided to just post my pics and see if I could could some additional advice. Lastly not sure if this should be posted here or in the metal fab/weld section.

My Prelude runs great but is obviously showing some signs of age. Yes I know I should have probably addressed this sooner, but life and work and obviously the wife get in the way sometimes. I have more than enough hand tools in the garage. Air tools, grinders, cutters, and compressed air is not a problem. Nothing autobody related unfortunately. I do however have my Miller MIG. I did grab a few used body panels from a local shop he was going to trash to make some repair panels with. I do not have the faintest idea where to start or what tools/materials I will need.

Attached are the two areas in question on the car. I apologize for asking what I am sure is the same question asked many times, but can someone/anyone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Sid
Attachments
IMG_2269.JPG
IMG_2268.JPG
IMG_2267.JPG

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:35 pm
I'd first see if you can purchase patch panels for those locations.

Forming new metal to match what was there is way more than can be described in a couple of posts here.

If new patch panels don't exist then see if a salvage yard outside the rust belt has a car they can cut a patch out of for you.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:32 am
Thank you sir for the reply. I did check for patch panels but no luck so far. I guess cutting a panel from a junkyard vehicle would be a good step. Can you recommend a decent book on how to maybe make my own patch panels? Maybe even a link to somewhere? I'd really like to try to make something myself if I cannot find any suitable metal.

Thanks

Sid

Return to Body and Paint