No Spray Gun:Protecting Metal During Work In Progress?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:48 pm
Hello, I'm working on my first resto-mod project. Things are going pretty well so far, as there's a pretty good amount of metal transplanting involved and I'm definitely getting the feel for my welder and other metals tools (spot weld cutter, seam busters, hammers & dollies).

The big question I have at the moment is how to protect parts that I've cleaned up and installed while working on others? Mostly interior spaces & seams. I figure exterior areas could just as easily be stripped back to bare metal for final painting with the rest of the car.

Presently I'm not certain that I'll be doing the final paint myself. I wouldn't mind the experience, but that's still quite a ways off. In the meantime, I will need to apply good rust preventatives to spaces that won't be easily accessible down the road without a full compressor (or turbine) & spray gun setup. The lack of space and budget, even for a good beginners paint setup is out of the question for now as well.

This leaves me with rattle can or brush-on applications. POR-15, or similar? Some of Eastwood's stuff, like their inner frame rail spray? Does anybody have experience/advice for what's effective?

Thanks!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:15 am
Get a quality 2 part epoxy primer.
You mix it 1:1 and it can be reduced some if needed.
Apply with paint brush. 2 coats is best and it will seal your metal, prevent corrosion and be a good foundation for your subsequent work.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:30 pm
Thanks '68 Coronet R/T! I'll have to give that a try. My project is a slightly newer and far less desirable Mopar … a '73 Plymouth Valiant :P
Any particular variants or features I should avoid or seek out? Any thoughts on going with either of the Tamco DTM Primers in the storefront?

I'm totally new to auto body. Metal working and welding is pretty intuitive to me, but paint's a whole other animal :shock:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:16 am
I recommend straight epoxy for what you are wanting to do. Build primers tend to absorb contaminants if left exposed for longer periods of time.

As for the Tamco products, I have not used them personally - yet - but plan to order some for an upcoming project. Chris and others who use these products would be better qualified to answer your question(s).

I strongly urge you to visit the Info Center and read the articles posted there. Many of your questions will be answered, products discussed, necessary tools, application techniques and other great information there.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:54 am
wintermute wrote:Any particular variants or features I should avoid or seek out? Any thoughts on going with either of the Tamco DTM Primers in the storefront?

Painters are going to be hesitant about what they spray over, and will probably strip the outer panels anyway, but I'm sure they would rather just sand and shoot the more difficult areas such as engine compartment, but maybe not over DTM---opinions are mixed. So I would vote for epoxy and stay away from DTM

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:26 pm
Epoxy is also a DTM product, but as these guys state for a long term restoration it is a safer bet. The only problem for some epoxies, is that they do not sand very easily. Whatever you decide to do, you should check with the painter you plan on subcontracting to, so you can find out what his expectation is. You don't want to shoot epoxy to find out the guy refuses the car, or likewise shoot a high build primer then find out he would prefer it come to him in epoxy.

Regarding the issue of a 2K high-build primer absorbing contaminants, if the car is inside in a clean environment this is not an issue. If it'll get wet or have household cleaners accidentally spilled on it, or gasoline, etc. - then not a good idea.

I have a car in the garage right now with areas of bare metal, it's going to sit there all winter at this point. Will it get some superficial surface rust - probably. Am I worried about it...not really ;-)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:37 pm
I have a project sandail (dune buggy) sitting in Tamco DTM "Rust Killer" primer HP-5311. It is under a tarp, out in the weather. It has been sitting this way for about 2 months and will probably have to sit for a few more months until I finish the project that's in my garage. The sandrail hasn't shown any signs of the primer failing, even though it is in far from ideal conditions.
I'm not worried about it either ;)

Return to Body and Paint