Nibs, dirt, crators and more. Bad day!!!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:56 pm
Having a bad day! Put seal coat on, wanted to shoot base today then clear tomorrow. However when I shoot seal coat this is what I got. See pics. Not giving up but discouraged, already put a ton of work into this. I thought it was therapy but now I think I really might need therapy. :knockout:

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Attachments
image.jpg
Help trouble shoot please
image.jpg
Help?? What is going on?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:41 pm
Contamination. Oils from your hands or something else. Thats fisheyes. Sand it down flat, degrease and try again

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:27 pm
Thanks Andy

After thinking about it, I did put some oil on the needle as suggested by some and maybe I put it to far toward the tip. I did use wax and grease removal a few times before spraying???

What about the dirt? Do you think that might have to do with a poor filter blocking this from my compressor.

Thanks again Jeff

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:08 am
I don't use any oil anywhere near my spray gun, I guess if the needle locks up it'll lock up, I'm not oiling it. The dirt looks like it was on the piece to begin with? did you tack if off right before spraying? Either that or your clothes or from the room itself where you are painting

Use a $3 disposable filter at your gun and drain comp before spraying paint

Anyway, its not a major deal, you can't paint if you don't love sanding :)

I actually like to sand, good thing to because I do alot of it haha

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:39 am
Wax and grease remover must be wiped off before it dries with a clean towel. You should be wearing rubber gloves when prepping the surface for paint.

When it comes to actually sealing and spraying base/clear you need to take a few more steps in preparing:
The booth needs to be clean, you should have a clean painter's suit with a hood or use a painter's sock, wipe the car with a quality tack cloth, wipe the air hose with a used tack cloth.

Most of the dirt will come from the person doing the painting if you have a filtered booth. If you are painting in an open garage then you will have the issue of dust floating in the air.

As for your fish eyes, it can also be from spraying a product too heavy. Strive to keep a consistent distance from the surface and your gun moving at the same speed and angle to the panel.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:04 am
My guess is that those fisheyes were caused by over oiling the needle. (Done it myself) It looks as if you hammered the paint on there to cover them. I bet the dirt came from yourself or from the masking. It's best to stop as soon as you see something wrong like contamination. The less base that is over and around it the better when you prep it out. Don't get frustrated mistakes happen to everyone. Good luck

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:50 pm
A lot of gun cleaning kits or new guns will come with a small amount of gun lube or a light grease of some sort. Personally, I never lube the gun. If you want to use a gun lube, this is safe: http://www.autobody101.com/store/spray- ... -gun-lube/ (DeVilbiss lube)

I would also look into your plumbing and/or air hoses. If they are contaminated with oil and moisture, it will continue to ruin your finish. If you spray the air against a clean white towel for 30 seconds or so, it should come out clean with no water or oil contamination.
A Motorguard filter is a good setup for the home hobbyist.
You would want to plumb this in after a standard water trap, about 20 - 30 feet downstream from your compressor: http://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-M-60- ... ard+filter (use a water trap + motorguard or gun filter)

Return to Body and Paint